Thread: small for gestational age

Default small for gestational age

Was wondering if anyone call help me. My friends sister is 36 weeks pregnant and has just had an ultrasound to check the size of the baby as it seems to be very small for its gestational age. The sonographer refused to comment and is telling her to wait to hear from her doctor. Has anyone had this experience?

Jo

I've never had this happen to me. I hope all is okay when your friends sister talks to her doctor. I don't think the sonographer should have said what they did as it's only put stress on her until she finds out more.

Also they can get the size wrong as well so the baby could still be bigger than they think and the baby still has time to get bigger.

It would be nice to know what the weight is at the moment.
    Kimberley was born at 35wks 4days and weighed 4lb 13oz in kilos 2.216
    Alexander was born at 36wks 6days and weighed 5lb 14oz in kilos 2.660

If the weight is more than that or about that them i would tell her not to worry. Hope this has helped a little.

Thanks Michelle

Jo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Sonographers can't give a diagnosis and would not be able to comment, without a doctor seeing it. Tell her to think positive, as long as the baby is healthy that is the main thing. The dates could be wrong, the machine could have been wrong, the sonographer could have been wrong. A high percent of babies now survive from 26 weeks of age. My thoughts are with her, let us know how it goes :hugs:
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

DD was induced at 42 weeks, and only weighed 5lb 10 oz, which was well and truly underweight, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, and she put on her missing weight at an amazing rate.
    Tell your friends sister not too worry, small babies really thrive

I agree with Kelly, it's not the sonographer's job to comment, and people can get really upset if they are wrong, so they're better off not commenting so they don't get in trouble!

They might say 'ooh that's not good' and then the mum is upset and everything might actually be fine, or they might say 'everything looks great' and then if it turns out there's a problem, the mum is upset because things weren't fine.
    So it's probably not a bad policy for sonographers just to let the doctor do the talking

Not sure if it's worth telling your friend's sister not to worry at all (because that seems to be impossible for expectant mums!!), but it might ease her mind to consider that not commenting is just the sonographer's standard policy.

Thanks for your comments ladies. The sonographer did comment and say that the baby is very small and was trying to double check dates so did actually cause alarm...she just wouldnt comment further which is probably best and said she needed to talk to her dr..comments which have completely freaked her out. Hopefully its nothing and bubs will put on lots of weight over the next few weeks. Will keep you posted.

Jo