Thread: smelly hands?

Thumbs down smelly hands?

ok this is weird....I have had a horrible smell on my hands all day. Ok so its not that bad, but i dont like it iykwim. (my sense of smell is SO strong these days)

A friend mentioned that it could be hormones?

Am I the only freak or are there other smelly hand sufferers out there?

Wow..havent had that before...could it be that with your heightened sense of smell your normal smell is just stronger. I hated the most normal of normal smells when I was pregnant.

Jo

Danni, could it be a case of your hands retaining cooking smells (I know things like garlic and onions are shockers for making your hands smell!), and that with your pregnancy-enhanced sense of smell you are more aware of it? Just a thought... I know if it is something like an odour that gets stuck in your skin, rubbing your dry hands all over with bicarb soda and then washing in cold water does wonders to remove the smell.

BW

Have you been touching something that does smell? I know if I touch onions or other strong smelling things, that the smell will stay on them for a while, and it is probably made worse cause your pg kwim?

I can't help myself.....

Could it be that there was no toilet paper left?

Sorry LOL

Fire Fly Guest

Danni did you have anything particularly strong for dinner like a curry or garlicky dish. Maybe its seaping out your pours. I have no idea really.
    Hope it goes away for you soon.

hehehehe! Danni I have'nt heard of it before, but maybe you could try one of those stainless steel soap things you can get from kitchen shops , they take away the smell of garlic etc from your hands when cooking, maybe that might help! Its most likely just your ultra sensitive nose!

Hello, I had a problem when I was pregnant, I ran straight out the door to buy antibacterial handwash (for preparing food, etc) and the smell was so strong, i just couldn't tolerate the smell at all.

Maybe you could try substituting the strange smell for one that you like. These days I buy the homebrand liquid soap, (I think it's supposed to be lavender fragrance but I can't really smell it) and I add a couple of drops of whatever my fave aromatherapy oil is of the moment. Spearmint, lavender and rose are all good, just make sure you don't use fake fragrance oils by mistake!
    :-)

Just be careful with essential oils, I know rose shouldn't be used in pregnancy... Not sure about the others, but I do have a book where I can look them up.

BW

Ohhhh Marydean, you just reminded me LOL!!! I remember buying a pump soap which was ylang ylang, and it left the most disgusting smell on my hands, this was just after DS was born, and I thought it was him that stunk but it was the saop LMAO!
    So there you go Danni, what soap are you using?

Danni - my sense of smell is very strong too and I find it actually distorts smells. Drives me nuts.

BW How come rose oil shouldn't be used in pregnancy? It's my fav!

MG

Hi, Rose is one of the main oils used in many of the pregnancy blends in Valerie Ann Wormwood's "The Fragrant Pharmacy". Remembering of course that rose is a very strong oil (and expensive) so you will probably have a bottle which is 5% rose in another carrier oil, and one or two drops in a bottle of hand soap is a tiny dose. However, if you're concerned do your own research and make up your own mind!

hmmm... I must have mis-remembered.

There are no warnings about rose oil, but there is for rosemary (close!)

Just so I don't ge freaking anyone else out - the ones that do have warnings against use in pregnancy are:
    aniseed
    arnica (under medical advice only)
    basil
    cedarwood
    clary sage
    cypress
    eucalyptus
    fennel
    jasmine
    juniper berry
    marjoram
    myrrh
    pennyroyal
    peppermint (also discourages flow of milk, so not while BF either)
    pine needle
    rosemary
    thyme

I'll check before I rely on my excellent forgetory next time!

BW
    Last edited by butterfly_warrior; October 6th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks BW! Totally ok. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, BW, that's an excellent list to beware of - agree agree agree!

danni i have had smelly hands too and i have put it down to copper and brass jewellery which i w\always wear and have put it away i cant stand the smell of it

BW dont forget pennyroyal on that list

ok, I'll go add pennyroyal to the list - it wasn't in any of my literature so I didn't know.

Thanks.

BW