Thread: smoking

Default smoking

hey girls

just wondering how many people smoke thought there pregnancys and how many a day would you smoke and also is there any girls who stoped smoking during there pregnancys how did you do it im finding it really heard too do as iv only got 8 weeks to go and i wont to stop until i have my bubb

I was a smoker and gave up while TTC. That was really hard. I failed and started smoking again for about 3 weeks, but not smoking much at all (about 3 a day). I got a BFP and threw out the packet straight away. I probably found it easy to start with then it got hard in the middle, and now I dont really even think about it. I just kept asking myself what did I want more 1) a cigarette or 2) a healthy baby?? It wasnt hard to prioritise for me. Now I just have to keep away from them after bubs is born. I dont want to start again.

Baiza - first, congratulations on not smoking for the last 6-7 months! It can't have been easy for you, even with the baby to think of.

Second, do you plan on starting smoking again once your bub is born? I'm sure you don't need people to tell you that the malefits to the baby of the mother smoking don't stop once the baby is born so it's best not to re-start at all, if possible.

If you wanted me to pm you some links to news websites that told you about the advantages of quitting smoking for good - not just to you, but to bub as well - would that be an incentive to you?

I smoked during two out of four of my pregnancies...i know it isnt an excuse but i had a lot of stress with my DP while i was pregnant and found it very hard to give up...
    When i did smoke i was only on about 5 a day though...
    When i gave up with the others i just found the best way was to go cold turkey and just remember my baby,and look at u/s pics or something when i felt i wanted one..
    It wasnt easy at all though...
    I hope you get on ok!

i smoked through all aff mine,15 a day.very bad girl,still smoking,havnt got the strength to give up,tried and failed twice since last year.
    nikki

It took me about 6 weeks after finding out about my pregnancy to stop smoking completely (so I had pretty much stopped by the end of the first trimester).
    It was hard, but I knew I had to prioritise my baby's needs over my own, and that was the only thing that helped me to stay strong. (especially since back then DP was smoking like a chimney in front of me all the time!)
    I reduced the strength and number of ciggarettes I would have each day. So cut down to 4mg, then 2 mg, and would ration myself out a lesser amount each day, until my ration was at one ciggarette, and then none...
    Goodluck with quitting Baiza... have you called the Quit Helpline yet, I'm sure they will have some good tips and strategies.
    There is also an article on the main BB site about Smoking in Pregnancy, HERE.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mizzsocial Guest

I quit when i was about 6 weeks pregnant (morning sickness really helped)

Melody Guest

I quit the day before Hunter was put inside me (we were IVF) I just ran out of excuses basically.

Every time I wanted a cigarette I would just visualize myself, in a car with my new born baby, rolling up the windows & lighting up..... blowing the cigarette smoke in my childs face. I figured there was no way I would ever do that (or allow someone else to do it) so how could I possibly keep smoking?

Once I was finally free of 'the demon' I never looked back. I hope that helps.... good luck, I know quitting is a hard thing to do.

ITs so hard.. I gave up 3 days after finding out.. Hannah is now 5 months and i am still off them!! ( I am so proud) WE have asthma quite bad on my side of the family and hubby suffers from it..

GOOSD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day I found out I was pregnant with maddison (I was about 15 wks) I threw my pkt of cigarettes away & have never had 1 since!

My girlfriend always tries to quit & after her first bub they showed her the placenta that had a dry grey patch & said to her "You smoke dont you?" she said Yes & they said see here your placenta was dying!!!

With bubs #2 she smoked again but tried cutting down & almost a 3rd of her placenta was this grey dry colour & they asked her & showed her again, so she says she'll quit with #3, but they arent TTC yet & she smokes a pkt a day!!! I have never looked back, I have energy, food & drinks etc all tastes better, life is better! My Dh has maybe 1 smoke every few days!

I was a smoker for nearly 15 years before getting pregnant with my dd. I never had another cigarette after I got that positive test. I am not a person who is known for her willpower but I just couldn't do it. The thought that I was smothering my baby by compromising her oxygen supply just put me right off it.
    I honestly think the only way to quit cigarettes is cold turkey, for the majority of people.
    I wish you all the best, it's very hard and you need lots of support (and distractions!)