Thread: Some advice please

Default Some advice please

Full story...
    When i original booked with my obs, my due date (acc. to me) is the 28June, acc to him is the 30th June. I rang up, made the booking, all good, seen obs all good, but, when i paid my bill, i noticed a sign saying Obs going on hols on the 01st July. I asked the receptionist (also his wife) and she said, oh yeah, but, you will prob go into labour early, dont worry about it. (this is my first bub - and i was sorta under the belief that i would go late)
    Then, when i was at obs on Friday, my 3rd visit now, when paying my bill, i notice the sign now said - Hols on the 28th June!!!
    Can he do that? Knowing i am due at that time?
    I asked the receptionist/wife what will happen. She said, if my cervic is 'ready' then he would induce me. Is that ok? If its not ready, then the obs that will is covering for him will deal with me.
    part of me is not real sure about this whole 'induce me' thing,?
    What do you think? At abit of a loss here. Esp think its abit rude considering i had already booked, and then they changed their holiday dates.

If you dont need to be induced, dont do it!! And i went 17 days over with my first... That isnt right, i would be taking myself to another OB!! You pay them alot of money, they should be here, or tell you earlier...

Sorry i couldnt help you more.

I too would go to another ob. I definitely would n't want to be induced. Induced labours are meant to be a lot tougher. His wife telling you that you'll probably go early seems ridiculous to me. As a first time mother you are statistically more likely to go late rather than early. You may well go early but she has no way of telling that. To me it seems like they don't really care just as long as you pay them at the end of the day!!

I have been seeing my OB for over seven years, and am hell-bent on using him for this my pg. When I rang at 4 weeks to book in his receptionist told me that he will be away for two weeks from my EDD. I have chosen to stay with him, never really thought about doing otherwise. I am hoping of course that I deliver a bit early (or that he might cancel his hol! hehe), if not I totally trust his relieving OB and will accept that it will be him present at my birth. My OB will NOT be inducing me just to deliver my baby before his hols.

I know the birth is the culmination of pg, but it is important to me to have his care throughout my pg as well.

That said, if I'd found out weeks into my pg, I probably wouldn't be very happy. At least this way I feel I've made a decision I'm happy with

If you are unsure about sticking with this guy, seek out another OB. Your current one is certainly entitled to take his holidays so there's nothing you can do about it. He has pg women due all the time, so no time is good IYKWIM? If you still feel you want to stay with him, discuss the induction with him, you certainly don't have to go along with that if you don't want to. And also discuss who will be delivering your baby if he's not around.

Good luck, and I hope that it all works out for you.

Gee thats a bit rough, id be finding a new OB. Considering you havent dealt with the 'stand-in' OB, it would be nice to know him/her before the birth.
    Chelsea was my first bub and she came 3 days early.

All the best.

I agree with the whole probably wont go early bit (or on time), but, i do like the obs, does he have huge role to play in the delivery, or is it mostly up to the midwifes? My impression of his role in teh delivery is to walk it, check how things are going, give inst to midwifes, and leave again? Thats sorta how i imagine it to be?

They really don't do that much to justify the fees that charge that's for sure LOL. My GP was only ever there for about 20 mins from the end and afterwards (to stitch up etc) so I imagine that OBs would be the same.

I don't however agree with inducing you just because it suits him better - that is just plain wrong, but it does happen unfortunately. On the other hand, if they waited for every pg women they saw to have their baby before they went on holidays, they would never get one. My Dr quite frequently went away during my pg's and while yes, I did want him to be the one to be there at the end, there isn't much I can do about when bubs decided to arrive, so if I missed out I missed out.

geez stuff that ob!
    wonderful advice from shannon

Thats a bit rude. He could have advised you when you booked that he was going on holidays around your due date. Does you ob have another ob he works with?
    I dont like the idea of being induced just because he is going on holidays. That just seems plain silly to me, but of course its up to you and your ob I suppose.
    Maybe you could see another Ob? Are you ok with seeing him throughout your pregnancy then having another ob possibly deliver your bub?

That's poor. You're left to notice a sign, rather than be told, about holidays, then get the details (such as they want to induce you) from his wife? Poor practice - if he's this lax about telling you about his holidays, what else is he not going to be too bothered about? I'd switch.

There is another ob also based at same hospital, that will be filling in for my ob, so, when i go back to see him mid feb, will question him more about it, then just questioning the wife/receptionist, as i only noticed the sign, and questioned it on my way out.
    I do think they could of mentioned it to me when i originally enquired about seeing him, that i was due close to holidays, then i could of made a more informed decision.
    I suppose i am happy to stay where i am, but, that is based on what he tells me at my next appointment, but was more unsure about the whole induce thing.