Thread: sore tooth and earache

Default sore tooth and earache

For the last few days, I've being having a problem with my "wisdom" tooth (well...it's really the gum where the wisdom tooth is hidden underneath) and ear on the right side...

I've been taking panadol, salt gargles and listerine...but they don't seem to be helping...

I'm really worried that this little infection might be affecting my pregnancy...

I haven't booked into the GP as yet...

Any ideas/thoughts?

For your tooth id reccomend getting Cepacaine....you can get it fromt he chemist and works wonders!!

Although check if its ok in pregnancy first.....im not sure if it is or not.
    If it keeps up id be heading to your GP. Maybe you need some antibiotics to clear up an infection or something.

Hope your feeling better soon.

ooooooh me too! both mine down the bottom have been griefing me big time! One is on a wonky angle and rubbing the inside of my mouth, the other feels like the gum has swollen up around it. Also, my teeth have been bleeding when brushing them which i've had all my pregnancies. I'm too scared to go to a dentist in case theysay they need to come out!

Monnie, forget the GP, you need to see a dentist. They will be able to clean around the area for you, and prescribe some ABs if necessary. In the meantime, keep up with the slat water rinses, you can't do too many. Keep the area very clean with your toothbrush, even if it's tender and bleeding. But definitely get into a dentist tomorrow, and make sure you tell them you're pg. (the reason I say forget the GP is because they are hopeless with dental problems! You'll just end up at a dentist anyway. The GP will likely just give you ABs, which will help this infection, but will not prevent it from recurring.)

Rissigirl, the reason all your gums are bleeding is because of pregnancy gingivitis, and it's very common. The pg hormones cause your gums to react differently to plaque, and make them more sensitive. It's very important to keep your teeth and gums very clean during pg. Brush them gently, but very well, with a soft toothbrush and floss every day. Your gums will continue to bleed, but should improve over the next couple of weeks. All pg women should see their dentist sometime in their 2nd tri for a scale and clean, so I would recommend that you do this. Also to get the wisdom teeth checked out, as they may need to be cleaned around as well. The gum swelling isn't a good indication, and you're probably not going to beable to get it under control yourself. Please don't leave it until it gets really bad, ignoring it won't help! If they do need to come out the infection will persist until you address it. Until you see your dentist, rinse the area many times a day with warm salty water and try to keep it clean.

Good luck girls, and sing out if you need anymore help!

Monnie
    I agree with sezjm
    Go and see a dentist now!!

Thanks guys

I'll ring my dentist tomorrow...ugh...what a horrible thought! Starting work after 3 weeks holiday AND making a dentist appointment!!! LOL!

Thanks for your advice...much appreciated...

It sounds sezjm that you are in the dental field!!!

Yep Monnie, been a dental nurse for 10 years!

You're right, back at work and a dentist appt - yuck! Hopefully they'll be nice to you though

Good luck, and let us know how you go!

Hey Monnie, my wisdom tooth was giving me grief the other week and I also had a head cold! I didnt go to the dentist because by the time I went back to work, it settled back down. But I think the next time it hurts me, I will go to the dentist and see what they say. Argh.. I hate the dentist tho!

Just to let you know...I'm booked in to see the dentist this week...

I imagine I just continue with the salt gargles til then...

Thanks for your advice guys...

Monnie
    Yes keep up the salt. Also brush after you have anything to eat or drink

Monnie, that's great that you have an appt. As Alan said just keep up with the salt water rinses and keep the area really clean. And if it's starting to get too much to bear, ring them back and tell them, also explaining that you're pg, and hopefully they can give you an appt. sooner.

Let us know how it ends up

Babushka Doll Guest

Just thought I would pop in and tell you that this exact thing happened to me last Friday after going for a swim at the local pool after work on Thursday. I went to the GP and he said that I had a minor ear infection and prescribed some drops (no ab's). By Saturday my tooth (wisdom tooth) gum and ear were fine.

I think they are somehow connected to each other and one makes the other flair up.

You can buy the ear drops from the Chemist and they are catogory A, which is fine for pregnancy, ill just run and get the name of them.... 'Auralgan' Ear drops around $13.00.

Good Luck
    X

Babushka Doll, it is all very close in there, and an inflammed/infected wisdom tooth can definitely refer pain to the ear area. Not an expert so not sure if it works the other way around! Certainly it doesn't seem to be a common complaint, or I would have seen more of it in my line of work. (Sinus trouble can definitely feel like toothache though). Then there's joint pain, which is a whole other story.........

I would still always recommend seeing a dentist, ESPECIALLY if you're pg. As I posted earlier, GPs are notoriously bad with treating dental problems, and hey! they're not dentists, are they LOL?! I think they spend something like a DAY out of all their YEARS at uni learning about dental stuff. And untreated dental problem can cause complications in pg, it is always best to have a problem like Monnie's checked out. Not to scare anyone, but I find it hard not to get on my high horse with this issue!

I have so many friends who have been told NOT to go near a dentist whilst they are pg by their midwives! This makes me so frustrated as it is very important, even more so than normal, for pg women to maintain good oral health, and for their dentist to check the state of their mouth. As I have said before, dentists have trained for 5 years to gain their qualifications, they are well aware of how to treat a pg woman, as long as you share this information with them. I am booked in myself for a check and clean in a few weeks (I have yucky pg ginigivitis - how embarrassing for me!), so I am definitely not concerned about hopping in the dentist chair!

Like I said, I don't want to scare anyone, just make sure you are all aware that it IS safe, and improtant, to see your dentist during your pg.

*sheepishly steps down off soapbox*!

Go sezjm!!!! LOL!!!

I think it's wonderful that you spread the news...I've certainly appreciated your input!

I remember reading about dental infections in pregnancy and how they can be potentially dangerous to the baby...so I was pretty scared when this tooth thing flared up.

It seems to be settling down now...but I'll still go to the dentist...

Thanks again!

Good on you Monnie....and just call me Sez

Hey Sez

Just to let you know that I went to the dentist today. He said it was settling down nicely (phew!) and gave me some savacol (?) and a syringe to "wash" it whenever it gives me trouble.

Thanks so much for encouraging me to go along...I feel incredibly relieved that I did. I've booked in for a clean for 2nd trimester.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

WTG Monnie, that's great news! He sounds like a good dentist too

That's what I'd hope he would say, and the syringe is a great thing, very helpful if you have any more probs (even though it probably looks like a horse syringe LOL!). Savacol works wonders, but don't use it for longer than a week or two if you can help it as it stains your teeth! It can be cleaned off, but only by your dentist.

You're very welcome, I'm so glad that you feel relieved, and good on you for booking in that clean! It will be well worth it