Thread: Sore tooth, pg related??

Default Sore tooth, pg related??

I had braces that came off about 4 /5 yrs ago. The work I had done was pretty major on one of the teeth inperticular. All of my teeth were involved with the orthodontic work done but my Right upper eye (canine) tooth had to be pulled back from being over the top of my incissors & then down into its correct position.

Now about 5 days ago I noticed that I was starting to get sore in my groined, the usual ligaments loosening etc with pregnancy. but also about 2 days ago this tooth that had the major movement done has been aching. Not consently but say 4 or 5 times a day I will notice it is really rather sore for about 1/2 an hour or so then goes away. Its only this one tooth & maybe either tooth on each side of it. Do you think this could just be related to all the ligaments loosening & stuff? Or should I go to the dentist. It gets pretty painful & panadol doesn't help.

Come to think of it, its the same sort of pain you get when your teeth are sensitive to cold/hot foods. I had this problem (same tooth) about 8 months ago & went to the dentist who said there was no holes just gingervitis. I had my teeth scaled etc & have since maintained a good dental hygine regime (flossing/brushing etc) I never use to floss & he said thats why I am having problems with gingervitis.

Any thoughts? I can't go back to my orginal Orthodontis as I had the work done while living in Nth Qld. A trip to the dentist isn't a very accessable option, financially anyway.

skorpy Guest

In every pregnancy i get something wrong with my teeth,in my first pregnancy at 6 months i had to have the nerve removed from my front tooth and had to be done on a sunday as i was in agony all night.My second pregnancy i had 2 or 3 fillings and am now waiting in this pregnanacy on having deep rout cannel done once the baby is born.

The baby takes alot of calcium out of your teeth while you are pregnant.

I always though that the whole baby taking calcium from your teeth was an old wives tale??
    My orthodontist told me it was anyway......

I was told by my dentist that the baby takes alot of the calcium from you when pregnant & leaves you with only the bare minimum unless you increase your intake. That's where the old wives tale came from of losing a tooth for every pregnancy. It's not so much that bub takes away what is already there, more that any calcium you put in it taks as much as it needs then leaves you with the rest, same as iron as far as I know.

Yeah my dentist also said that preg takes calcium out of ur teeth. i also had bleding gums a bit through my preg.

Fiona, I had the same problem about 2 months ago.....sore top teeth, like over sensitive teeth, on my top right........panadol did bugger all to stop the ache, and I knew I couldn;t take neurofen.........

I asked my OB about it, and he suggested that it was a calcium drain alongside the fact that the relaxin was kicking in......

I went to the dentist and he found a tiny cavity, but explained that that it was a bit loose in the gum as a result of pregnany.....had it fixed. Cost me an effing fortune, but was worth it to not have that nagging ache.........

Melinda Guest

I got quite sensitive teeth, on the top right hand side, when I was PG with Jacob. It was very sensitive to hot and cold just like you mentioned FionaJill.

I went to the dentist to get it checked out, who did find a very minor cavity which was left until Jacob was born to be fixed. The dentist also explained how the gums etc are very very sensitive during PG and can't tolerate the 'normal' levels of plaque etc, which can cause your gums to bleed and teeth to become sensitive. I found that it actually disappeared of it's own accord and had I not gone to the dentist when I did, I wouldn't have even know that I had a filling that needed attention! (It was a total shock as I've never needed a filling before! So with my first child, came my first filling! LOL)

mmmm Interesting. I might start taking some pg multi V's then as I probably don't eat as much dairy as I should. I have had a cold for a little while so I have been avoiding dairy more so. It makes more sence that my teeth would be getting less calcium more so then loosing what they already had. I will get some more of that sensitive tooth tooth paste too. I don't think I could do much more to improve my dental hygine.
    If it doesn't seem to get better in the next week or so I will use part of my tax return to go to the dentist. The last time I went was at the community one & it wouldn't surprise me if he did miss a cavity.

It just weird how it comes & goes. Its not set off by eatting anything hot/cold it just suddenly starts to ach & then stops again after about 40 mins at the most. Although I did notice at dinner that the hot did set it off again as well. Bloody teeth!

I've had really sensitive teeth during this PG. I had a filling replaced early on as I went to the dentist and he said it may have a small crack. He didn't really know it was a guess, so $160 later I have a new filling but still a sensitive tooth
    I know it wasn't a crack as another tooth is now extremely sensitive to cold :eek: and it's on the other side of my mouth.

Well its still really sore. I think its a nerve or something. Eating hot food makes it really bad & just before while eating dinner I had the worst shooting pain go up the back of the tooth. It was like a hot needle was shoved into the gum.
    I will have to go to the dentist I think, I can't put up with it for much longer.

I'ver never had a problem with my teeth until pregnant with my daughter. No fillings either. Since Maddy I have had to have a wisdom tooth pulled and two fillings. My dentist agreed that they definately do draw on your calcium levels during pg.

I never had a problem with my gums/teeth with my other pregnancies but with this one, my little man seems to like to take heaps of calcium!!!!!!! My gums bleed as soon as you touch them!!!!!!!!!! My teeth are in good order 1 month before getting pregnant i had my teeth filled and cleaned and so forth!!!!!! An yes they get very senitive

Hi Fiona, I am a dental nurse, and I have worked in Orthodontics. I really think you should get this tooth checked out, by a dentist. I know it can be very expensive, but the longer you leave these things the more they tend to cost in the long run! Also, it's not great for you or bub if you end up with an infection. The fact that hot bothers it makes me think that the nerve could be dying......Which can sometimes happen to teeth that have had substantial orthodontic movement. Sorry! Not the greatest news, I know. Also, canine teeth are really not teeth that you want to be taking out, so you'll probably need root canal treatment, which is not as bad as it sounds, just boring and expensive. Look on the bright side, I could well be wrong!!!! But do go and get it checked out. It's never a good idea to avoid the dentist when pg, despite what some people say. Dentists are trained to look after pg women, and know what is safe for you and bubs. GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know how you go.

Thanks for that Sezjm..... I think LOL. So you think even after almost 5 years after the braces where taken off that it could just now be showing its self that the nerve may have been effected?? Good golly!, I will call the dentist first thing monday morning to see when I can get it. I will have to use the Community one at the hospital but if I have to wait more then 2 weeks I will use the credit card & go to a normal dentist.
    Thanks for the advice.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I've had huge problems with my teeth since my daughter was born. They were really painfull but the dentist couldn't find any holes or reasons for it. Finally I went to see another dentist and he asked me if I was bulimic and I laughed at him and said no I've just had a baby and still eating for 2, lol. The dentist laughed and asked how bad my morning sickness was. I threw up all day everyday for 31 weeks and the dentist said that the acid from my stomach had eaten away the enamel from my teeth. I was horrifed and exclaimed that I had brushed my teeth religiously to get rid of the stomach acid in my mouth which I then found out had actually made it worse, lol. I felt like a complete idiot !! that I didn't know this stuff before. Anyway he put me on to a product called Tooth Mousse which comes in all sorts of flavours (I have Melon). It's about $30 and can be bought at the dentist and you use it similar to toothpaste and it helps to rebuid the enamel on your teeth. It's worked for me.

That tooth mousse is great stuff......but you can only get it from a dentist, which is a bummer. Well worth it though. Your dentist was right Fruitwood, almost the worst thing you can do after vomiting is scrub your teeth! It just brushes the acid into the enamel on your teeth. It is v. important to rinse your mouth with water after vomiting, and then make sure you use a fluoride toothpaste when you do brush. BTW, being in townsville I presume there's no fluoride in your water? Do you have any supplements or mouthwashes or anything like that?

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I really don't know if we have fluoride in our water up here or not. I know just recently they have really been pushing the message of not letting kids drink bottled water and that they should be having cold water from the tap instead. I've always just assumed that because of these ads there was fluoride in the tap water. I come from Adelaide originally where the tap water is brown and tastes yukky so I've always boiled my drinking water or had bottled water. It's only since we moved up here that i've started drinking the tap water, lol.