Thread: Spa baths

Wilson Guest

Default Spa baths

Hi i think i read somewhere that they don't reccomend having hot baths when pregnant but just wanted to check and see if others have heard this as we are going away this weekend and the unit has a spa bath but i don't want to use it if it is harmful to bubs....

My preg physio and midwife have both said warm water is fine so long as it doesn't turn your skin red (which would indicate your body temp is too high) so they say to avoid commercial spas as they are usually too hot but if you run your own it's ok. Don't use the jets though as they can "get up there" (sorry) and cause infection...

SmallNads Guest

I've heard also that hot baths aren't good when you're pregnant. I read it in a book just the other night.

I haven't had a bath in general since being pregnant, I just assumed you couldn't. But then I remembered with DD my favourite thing was having a bath towards the end and watching her move!! I guess I probably just made sure the bath wasn't too hot (this is hard for me as I love HOT baths)!! Also when I was bigger, half of me poked out anyway!!

Kirsty77 Guest

hehehe I have that problem now Meg....half my body(belly and boobs) sticking out of the water.

My doc said hot baths are a no go as they lower your BP to much and makes your body temp rise to much.I still have the occasional hot bath but only to help my aching back. [-X

I have a bath now 3 times a week, coz my back KILLS ME!!!!

I am not fond of cold/warm, but try not to let it be TOO hot!!!! [-X

I had a few baths a week, I'm a bath freak, but would just keep the temperature right to not make my skin go red.
    The stinker is - I still rarely ever get a hot bath cause we bath with jenna, and it can't be too hot for her!!!!

Spa jets are a no-no, but there is nothing wrong with the occasional hottish bath - just dont boil the bubs!

Fi

i asked my doctor about this and she said the only real risk is overheating and that she thought it extremely unlikely to happen where we live over winter (armidale). i was also told spas where a little more dangerous but only if you have the heating element turned up to high and start with the water really hot in the first place.

i couldn't live without my bath. we have such a small tub and are in such a cold climate, that i would argue its impossible to overheat at all in our bath - every ten minutes i have to empty half the water out and put in hot water.

i think also if the water isnt too hot it is ok. just use common sense. i feel light headed when not pregnant if i have the bath too hot anyway.

i guess if you dont stay in too long also this would be another way to be careful,

Linda

Custardtart Guest

I found that if I use the jets in the spa when pregnant it makes me feel sick, like a motion-sickness. Nothing wrong with warm water - in fact, I'm about to go soak my poor back in a tub now!

Kerrie

Wilson Guest

Thanks for the replies, i think while i'm so early on i'll stear clear of the tub cos i love HOT baths but maybe in a bit i'll start having warm baths instead...