Thread: Spas & Pregnancy

Default Spas & Pregnancy

Hello everyone, just a quick question.

DH and I are going on a fantastic holiday next month to a lovely secluded Villa in Margaret River (WA). The villa has a 4 person Jacuzzi spa on the villa decking looking over the river, ahhhh sounds like heaven doesn’t it! Anyway, we are TTC at the moment and hopefully I will be pg by the time we leave.... im cutting it a bit close, but wishful thinking! I was just wondering is it advisable to use spas whilst you are pregnant?
    What do you think??

Thanx
    Renee XXXXXXXXXX

michelle246 Guest

Just a warning, we hired a house in Margaret River (WA) last year and all caught pseudomonas from the spa water. Make sure the spa is empty & dry when you arrive. The spa we caught this from even had chemicals in it, but it wasn't enough to kill the bugs. Apparently pseudomonas is a "hospital grade" bug. I would definitely not go in any spa while pregnant.

No me either, no spa when preggo They are a total breeding ground for all sorts of nasties.

We have an outdoor spa at home so I checked with my OB early on. He said it was fine as long as I kept the temperature at 37deg or below. It may be a bit different when you have no control over the maintenance/cleaning...

Fingers crosssed I WONT be able to use the spa on our holiday hehe

Ha ha yeah all the best with that!

What my midwife said was that home spas are good (cos you have control over them, and are aware/used to the bacteria there).
    With the temperature, if you get too hot, well, get out!
    And with public spas, there is more bacteria around. For example, she said a girl who works at a public pool would be fine because her body's used to all the bacteria, but maybe other people would be more cautious.

I reckon your butt would have to be pretty close to a jet to get air up there, cos of your plug and all, but really, check with your dr/midwife if it does turn out you're preggers and ask them 'why' so you understand their rationale behind why something is safe and not safe. Like, if your dr says totally safe (because problems are just rare) that is different to totally safe (because physically it can't be an issue). If that makes sense..

Anyway, I will conclude this ramble by saying All the best, and have fun!

Thank you so much ladies
    Big hugs all around