Thread: Spider bites during PG

Melinda Guest

Default Spider bites during PG

Has anybody else been bitten by a spider during PG?

I was bitten by a spider this morning. I've never been bitten or stung by anything in my life (except mozzies!). It was inside my top and bit me on my upper arm. I got myself up to the Doctor's Surgery on the corner of our street quick smart (with the spider specimen in tow!) and they applied ice to it and just monitored me for a while. The spider didn't look particularly sinister (which the Doc also agreed on) and they rang my OB who said that there shouldn't be any harm done to me or the baby. I'm 13w on Monday.......

Has anybody else had something like this happen???? Was everything ok? This is obviously not the kind of stress I need right now!!!

Melinda - Hugs to you, not sure if I`m much help but 2.5 weeks ago I was bitten by something nasty while putting Matthew into the car seat, whatever it was it bit me on my calf, within minutes my leg from the bite down to my toes went numb, the pain was dreadful and I felt off colour. Siily me didn`t go to the Dr nor did I apply ice to it, anyway the numbness went after sometime but the pain stayed for 4 days and the area was extremely swollen and very red.

I searched on the net as DH said so unsympathically oh it probably was an ant, the symptoms and reaction I got sounds like it may have been a Fiery Bullant, I looked for the victim at the time but couldn`t find it.

Now 2.5 weeks after the bite I still have a big red area where I reacted to this creature.

Like you I worried about bubs and if Mummy had such a bad reaction is bubs suffering but I was lucky I was at a stage where he was moving around so that reassured me all was okay with Bugalugs but I do wonder since I had such a bad reaction would Bugalugs be more prone to being allergic when he`s bitten by something.

I don`t think I`ve been of much help to you at all, if your at all worried about bubs maybe ask if you can have an u/s, I know it`s hard not to worry.

Hi Melinda, i was bitten by a whitetip spider when i was 38wks pregnant with Ryan, i didn't notice it at first (I was already in hospital) but one of the midwives noticed that my arm was really swolen and red, over the course of an hour, my arm blew up to twice it's normal size, they called in a dr that specializes in spider bites and he prescribed some cream to stop the itching, which worked in 24hrs.
    Ryan was fine after the bite it didn't affect him one bit.
    I hope this helps

Hi Melinda

Try not to worry hun most spider bites will not have any efect on your baby. One way to look at this is to consider the effect the bite had on you. If you only had some swelling in the area of the bite and no other symptons then the bite will not have ant effect on your baby. If you had other symptoms like nausia and/or vomiting, headache, sore joints, then the bite may have some effect on your baby.

Melinda Guest

Thank you so much!!!

I've only got some pain/swelling at the site of the bite - absolutely no other symptoms.

Melinda,

You can also ring the poison's information hotline for adivce 24/7 if you're still concerned.

Any idea what type of spider it was??

Melinda Guest

No, I don't know what kind of spider it was - it was fairly small and was brown - just looked like your typical house/garden spider (didn't look like anything too nasty IYKWIM?) I didn't know the little critters could inflict so much discomfort (house/garden spiders that is)........I hate to think what a venomous spider would do!!!

Have you tried doing a google for it? If you put the something like common brown house sipder & your area you might get a few hits...

Melinda Guest

Yeah I might do that. At least Alan reassured me here, and also the Doc and OB said everything should be fine.

Thanks for all your help!

Oh yeah, I'm sure you are fine too. Just be interesting to know what it was that bit you.

Melinda Guest

Yep, absolutely! I'd like to know too.......horrid little creature!