Thread: Spiritual Midwifery....

Default Spiritual Midwifery....

So, I had my midwife appointment on Monday. The prior Wednesday I had met with my doula, who leant me some birth DVDs and books to read. One of which was Spiritual Midwifery. I have been enjoying it, and although itís very hippy, itís fun to read and I can see some of the lessons I need to get out of reading this book.

However, I happened to have it on the coffee table (completely unintentionally) when my midwife came to visit at my house. She had a quick look at it and said it looked interesting. I explained a little of what it was about, as clearly she had no prior knowledge of this book.

I found that quite amazing that she hadnít even heard of it. I canít say I expected her to have read it, but given that I at least knew of it, I would have thought that in her circles she would have at least known of it? She is a very conventional person, so itís probably not something she would pursue.

What do you think? Is it something that midwives are generally aware of? Or should be aware of?

I had a student midwife and she was unaware of many of the books & videos that i have read/watched. I ended up lending her some of my stuff!

I think they should be aware of some of (what i consider) pivotal books, but like any profession you get some people who like to research further and others who are happy to stay within a narrower knowledge base.

Hard to say.... I don't think anyone in any profession can have knowledge of every significant text that's out there.

But how awesome that you have opened her eyes!

My birth attendant had this book and I borrowed it from her, and when my midwife came over, she hadn't read it either

But she still knew what she was doing on the day

Its a funny book though, some parts of it had me in absolute hysterics

Is it good? I'm reading Ina May's guide to childbirth (again) at the moment. I love her.

Marcellus - its awesome. And the book depository place has it on special at the moment

To be honest, I am a little surprised that she hadn't heard of it. It is one of the classics! Oh well, I wouldn't hold it against her though.