Thread: sports

Default sports

does anyone know what sports are safe/unsafe during pregnancy or where I could find a detailed list.
    I know that ridng horses, skiiing and other sports that could result in forceful accidents are out but what about golf, tennis etc?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I can't think of anything that would be wrong with golf, it would certainly be good exercise. Tennis I guess could be a little iffy, you could trip whilst running for the ball, and after a while it would be quite difficult I imagine. Walking I guess is pretty obvious, but other than that I can't think of anything else.

Custardtart Guest

I gave up weight training when I found out I was pregnant, as putting too much stress on the abdominals can cause issues in the first trimester. You can pretty much do anything you feel comfortable with, I know some people are really into running and that's fine.
    I'd avoid any sport where there is a possibility of impact, like ball sports, if you want to increase your abdominal tone and pelvic support you really can't beat pilates and swimming.

Kerrie

i think it mostly comes down to what your body is already used to. ie: if you are used to a sport it should be fine, but dont take up anything new that is strenuous. also, with things like tennis, i think the fact that your ligaments are stretching, can mean you can twist your ankle more easily. just take it easy and make sure you dont overheat. overall, i think there seems to be a lot of varied messages about this, just listen to your body,

Linda

Annie Guest

Definitely it's what you're already used to. I have a friend whose mom was in a statewide bandminton doubles final the day before giving birth to my friend (and WON the tournament)! But this had been her sport all along. Contact sports--including the individual kind where you can accidentally make serious contact with the ground, such as biking and others you mentioned--are generally frowned upon, but I'd guess really the biggest part of the problem is that your center of gravity gets all goofy when pg, so the likelihood of a fall increases. Something like cross-country skiing would be okay. If you have a particular sport in mind, ask your doctor.

My Doc (before ttc) told me that horse riding when pg is fine as I already ride regularly. Concern is that you will do something that your body is not used to. In fact it is my understanding that it is important that you keep doing what you normally do while you can to prevent loss of muscle and fitness.. just don't take up new sports or put yourself in way of harm.
    As a horse rider that means no longer riding 'unsafe' horses, sticking to the ones that I know wont cause me too much grief. ie the old and faithfuls.
    Means I can keep throwing hay bales, chasing cows and riding horses until my body gets too big and I can't move or I feel the situation is unsafe or too risky.
    Means that the planned aerobics sessions are now out for me as I haven't been doing them recently and now is not a good time to recommence.

Joy.

JessC Guest

When I spoke to my doctor about it, she asked what i already did - which was running and aerobics and she told me to give up both. Apparently runnin is bad for the breasts. She said swimming and walking were the best

I agree that anything you are used to should be fine to continue with.... however be careful of your heartrate. I dont think its meant to get up past 140bpm. So a lot of cardio excercises such as aerobics would need to be toned down a fair bit... to low impact aerobics maybe?
    And i also agree with whats been said WRT being careful of your ligaments etc in sports like tennis etc...

Hi Dach

I found a couple of articles on the NSW Health Dept site that deal with specific exercises pre and post natal and give advice on exercise during pregnancy in general.

Exercise/sport
    If you were active before pregnancy, it is a good idea to stay that way during pregnancy
    too. By keeping fit, you will cope better when the baby is born. But remember that the
    aim of exercise in pregnancy is to maintain fitness, not improve athletic performance.
    If you haven’t been physically active before pregnancy, now is the time to begin a gentle
    exercise program suitable for pregnancy. Ask about this when you attend your childbirth
    education course (see Chapter 8, Antenatal Exercises).
    If you normally play sport, ask your doctor or midwife if you can continue during
    pregnancy. Some activities are safe, as long as you take things easy, stop when you feel
    tired and don’t overheat.
    However, some activities can pose problems - obvious ones are contact sports which can
    cause injury. Others include scuba diving (excess oxygen or carbon dioxide can harm the
    baby) and water skiing (water surging into the uterus may cause miscarriage).
    If you go to exercise classes, check with your doctor or midwife that it is okay to
    continue. Remember to tell your instructor that you are pregnant. You will need to slow
    down your pace.
    Alternatively, you could look for a class that caters for pregnant women.
    One of the effects of pregnancy is that your body’s ligaments become softer - this makes
    them more vulnerable to injury. High-impact exercises and repetitive bouncing, jumping
    or jarring movements are more likely to cause problems, but you can risk injuries with
    some low-impact exercises too.
    After the 20th week, it is important not to do exercises lying flat on your back - this can
    reduce the blood flow to the growing baby. If you are concerned about any of the exercises
    you do, ask a physiotherapist for advice.
    Overheating
    It is important to avoid becoming too hot, especially in the first three months of
    pregnancy, or if you are planning a pregnancy. If you do, your body’s core temperature
    can rise and this may harm the baby (see Chapter 1, Keep Cool).
    Playing a sport, running or doing a vigorous exercise class on a hot day can be enough to
    raise your core temperature. Staying as cool as possible, not exercising too strenuously
    and drinking fluids during and after exercise will help to keep your core temperature
    down.
    Women with certain medical conditions who are likely to have complications during
    pregnancy or who are having twins should avoid exercise. Check with your doctor or
    midwife.

Other exercise
    Other safe exercises include walking and swimming. (See picture F)
    Aim to exercise 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. Make sure you can talk comfortably while exercising – if
    not, slow down a little. If you have just had your baby,wait until the vaginal discharge has finished before
    swimming.
    It is advisable to wear supportive, comfortable flat shoes eg. joggers. Begin walking on flat surfaces,
    increasing time and distance as you progress.
    Sport or other exercise can usually be started 6-8 weeks after a vaginal birth, or 2-3 months after a caesarean
    birth. Start gently and progress gradually at your own pace within your limits of comfort and fatigue. Avoid
    exercise that causes pain or strain in muscles or joints. Low impact aerobics, (no jumping), aqua-aerobics
    (exercise in the water) or a specially designed programme in postnatal classes would be best.
    Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Jennifer