Thread: Steroid injections

Question Steroid injections

As some of you know i was given steriod injections at the weekend to develope bubs lungs if she is born ealry which at the stage we are unsure if she will.

I wanted to hear from other mums that have had the injections and how long after having them was bubs born ?
    Most that i have spoken too have said they had bubs within a week to two weeks of having them done.

I have a strange feeling not sure why that bubs won't stay in as long as they would like her to. They would love me to get to 37 weeks but i have since been told i have a 80% chance of getting full on PE below 36weeks.

I had one lot of injections (2 injections 12 hours apart) at 25 weeks, as we thought Anneliese would make her appearance then, but she held on, and i was given one more shot of steroids mere hours before my c/s. I think it worked, as although Anneliese was born at 30 weeks, she was born crying and never needed oxygen or cpap. she always breathed on her own.

Fingers crossed she sticks

PS come join us in the premmie thread

I had my first lot 24 hours apart at 30 weeks, i also had 1 jab the night before my c/s Alexa was born at 32 weeks 4 days & had only a little oxygen as a precaution only ..

There is deffinatley nothing wrong with her lungs thought cause boy can that wee girl scream!!!!!!!

thinking of you & hoping you are still preggy for xmas dinner!!!!!

I thought steroids were only useful for lungs if they were given a couple of days (within a week) of the babies prem birth? Maybe I'm wrong.
    Are they sure you will be prem Michelle? How prem are they talking??

Fi they told me the inhections should be okay as it's already helped her lungs.

They are pretty sure bubs will be prem but no idea how long i have left. It all depends on what is going on inside my body and that's why they are doing weekly scans and blood tests. For me it's like when i was pg with Kimberley and they first picked up on problems within two weeks of finding out something was wrong with me she was born. You know what you have that feeling inside well that is what i have, i had that same feeling when i was pg with Kimberley that she would be born early but never with Alex.

i had a scare at 32 weeks - and they gave me both pethadine and steroids just in case my contractions built and bubs came early. contractions stopped within 24hrs and by 37+ weeks (38 on the hospital records) when I had a c/section for my own health reasons (was suffering pneuomonia, bubs was already 8lb and in country hospital and I was getting worse and not improving carrying him and trying to fight the pneuomonia) there had been no other signs of him coming - on review they couldn't find anything that caused the bleed or contractions.

Fi - when giving me the injections I think they indicated they needed 24hrs or preferably a couple of days for the steroids to have the required affect - if I didn't last that long it would have no affect but if I lasted longer it would have helped anyway and when I had followup appts my docs response was well you have steroids so that will help him along - how exact I am with this I'm not sure because it was all a bit of blur really

Hope all goes well Michelle and your little girl holds on for as long as possible
    Last edited by jaspen; October 31st, 2006 at 01:22 PM.

The said that about the steroids when i was given them for Anneliese Fi, but i was talking to one dr, and asked how they could mature a babies lungs, and then what? The babies lungs would un-mature?? So they do help, even if given 6 weeks before like Anneliese, how many babies born at 30w dont need oxygen at birth?? I believe all the steroids given to her helped her immensely.

I'm not sure how to word this right without sounding feral - so excuse me please cause I dont mean to . I get that they dont unmature but what I meant was that if you get them at say 27w, then by the time bubs is say 29w he/she has caught up to where he/she should be anyway, so do they end up having to give you another set at 29w to prepare for a 30w birth, and then if bubs reaches 32w, then do you need another set to then advance the lungs etc etc etc.
    My SIL needed them for her 31w5d bubs, and I was aware they needed a day or two to kick in, but I thought that maybe they wouldn't want to give them too many times.

So my point was (in a very round about way) if they think you will make it to 32w, surely the best thing is to give them once at say 31w3d and thats it. Rather than giving repeat doses, or too early if that makes sense.

Anyway - I have heard of a few bubs that didn't need anything support wise from 30w, but I think they are the special strong ones like Anneliese .

Michelle - it must be very hard being held in limboland like this. You'll probably have your bubs before mine!!
    Last edited by Fi; October 31st, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo

Hopefully you will have bubs before me Fi

I'll ask at my appt on Thursday if they will need to repeat the injections the further along i get.

I think i was just given the injections a second time for the sake of it, as they told me, it cant hurt (luckily i knew they meant the baby, but i had a comment about that, after all its a decent size needle, going straight into your butt cheek LOL)

I had to have 2 lots of the steroids, plus i hsd goodness knows how many anti-d injections, as im a- blood type. And after Anneliese's birth, i had so many anti-biotics to fight the infection in my uterus pushed thru the cannula in my hand i still have a lump, as my vein collapsed. But stupid me, i still want more...