Thread: Strange question??? Periods and Pregnancy???

Default Strange question??? Periods and Pregnancy???

Hi all, Have been having a debate with a friend about whether or not it is possible to be pregnant and still get your periods. Would like to know if this has happened to anyone and did you find out only after you eventually missed a period or was there other signs (iykwim)?? Strange question I know. But I met a woman who said that this had happened to her. She only found out cos she went to the doc as she had been feeling ill and she was 4 months preggers when she found out!!! Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep, it's totally possible

Did that happen to you tigergirl? Or someone you know? How did they/you find out?

I've had friends who have bled at that certain time of the month for a few months after becoming pregnant. I'm unsure of the reasons, I don't think you continue with full cycles when you are pregnant, but I really have no idea.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Nope hasn't happened to me personally but I have heard of many cases of it happening.

My cousin at age 17 had full AF's when she was preg with her first...

Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but she was hiding the preg from her parents & was actually thinking she could just hide it & ignoreit & it would go away..
    She was only just 17, very niave & was not with the guy she had slept with... They were also sent to all girls schools & quite religious...

So she was scared & pretended she wasnt preg.... So maybe mentally she was trying to wish it away so as that she didnt have to deal with it!???

She eventually told her sister at 6 months... They together told her parents, My Auntie was OK (she had lost 3 babies to cot death) but my uncle was extremely angry & disgusted.... All was forgotten at the birth & now their gorgeous grandaughter is 15 yrs old & has 2 younger brothers as my cousin & the guy hooked up & have been together ever since...

Ok, sorry to go on, but yep although she knew she was preg she continued to get periods!!!

WOW! So it is possible. I was doing a bit of research on google about it. Most doctors/websites say no not possible. You might get some spotting at that time of month for the first trimester but actually periods NO. Then the occasional doctor/website says yes with someone giving an experience of it happening to a friend or themselves. I think I will go with the yes side of things. That it is possible but most professionals won't agree on an answer. Suppose thats almost like a doctors opinion on most things medical. 50% say yes and 50% say no. Would still be interested if anyone else has any stories.

There was a girl on Today Tonight the other week that didn't know she was pregnant until 1 hour before she gave birth. She said she had her period the whole way through, negative pregnancy tests and no morning sickess. A doctor examined her belly two days before the birth and told her that she had a cyst!

mooshie Guest

my nanna had 4 kids and went to the docs with a "virus" she couldn't shake, dr said start knitting you are 5mths preg - she had her period all the way through and after having 4 children you would think that she might have known she was pregnant. now all this was going back some 40 yrs ago and i don't know any other details, but she died around 7yrs ago, so i only really know what my mum and aunties have told me.

wow! how could you not know til just before you gave birth. Wouldn't there have been other signs. Like a belly? Surely she put on some weight. I can understand not showing for the first 6months but how could you not realize after that. I say that now and then it will happen to someone I know (or myself!) and I will have to eat my words. Be a pretty good pregnancy not knowing for the first 5 months though. Alot of women would like that!!!

.....and what a dumb doctor. Shouldn't he have got her an ultrasound if he thought she had a cyst. Then it would have shown up as a baby!! LOL!! That would have made his self esteem nose dive for a few hours!!! Poor guy I hope they didn't say who her doctor was.

I couldn't believe it about the doctor either, surely a doctor should be able to feel a fully pregnant belly and figure out there is a baby in there!
    I knew a girl at uni that put on a bit of weight over the year, one morning she woke up and was in so much pain she couldn't get out of bed. Her flatmates called an ambulance and sure enough she was in labour. Apparently she took the pill during the whole pregnancy and still had her period. I tend to think there was a bit of denial going on though

Was the girl on today tonight over weight at all. Maybe thats why she couldn't tell.

I reall wonde if there is a physcological thing going on for people who don't know they are pregnant. My cousin didnt find out she was pregnant to 5 or 6 months along and she still had her period, didnt get any bigger etc etc. As soon as she "found" out she was pregnant it was like her belly grew overnight, so maybe physcologically for those people who dont know or dont want to admitt they are pregnant they manage to supress some of the symptoms?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the brain just tricks the body into thinking "hey everything is the same, nothing to worry about, just the same usual routine". So then nothing happens to let the woman know that yes she is pregnant. Seems so odd otherwise.

Sal Guest

Hi there, well I have a friend who had periods (or what she thought were periods) right through her pregnancy. She actually didn't know she was pg until she was 28w along. No joke! She fell pg during a one-night stand and there was a condom malfunction. She was putting on weight so dieted and then found she was feeling dizzy and blacking out. She did not look pg, I know because I saw her every day. Eventually a doctor sent her for an u/s as he thought she had a tumour and the sonographer took one look and not knowing the history just blurted out 'oh so you're about 28w along'. Well my friend nearly died of shock.

The weird thing is that as soon as she had the u/s her belly dropped (she had been carrying the baby right up under her ribs) and she looked pg overnight.

Now until I had personal experience of this I'd never have believed it possible. But it did happen. You could say that my friend was in denial, but as she only DTD the once, using a condom, she really didn't think she could possibly be pg. And the symptoms (blacking out, heartburn, swelling ankles) happened way into the pg, so she didn't even think of that as a possibility.

Strange but true!!!

Sal, that happened to a friend of mine too, she didn't find out until she was 26 weeks, she still got her period right through too

Hi gals

went to school with a complete ahletics nut - judo , swimming, rounders (english schoolOK??) who turned up to out 5th form presentation night with a baby in tow turned out it was hers she had no idea she was preg still getting period the whole kittencaboodle......

hey Artechim

Sure I am seeing the doctor you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why I have had to find a new one

xx