Thread: Strep b

Default Strep b

Hi all; I have a general question...
    like all women, during my pregnancy i did the swab test and found out I have strep.... The problem was that it ruined all my plans to stay home as long as possible..
    My question is: Is there any other form of treatment for this other than the treatment during labour? Next time round we would rather stay at home for as long as possible, or use a birthing center; and to be honest i hated having someone come and jab me on a regular basis when im already in pain!

Justine

Bump!(id like to know any answers too )

I had strep B in both of my pregnancies. Providing your waters havent broken you can stay home as long as you like as your baby is protected by your intact membranes.

i have read that using garlic, vitamin c and echinaeca(whoa sp?!) tablets could help with strep b, im not sure where i read that tho..

My first test came back positive for StrepB but we did another test on my next visit and it came back negative. Which was annoying cos they still stuck me on a drip once my waters had broken despite me telling them about my second testing and asking that they just observe bubs after it was born for a temp etc. Anyway. I lost that argument!

Provided your waters haven't broken, you can stay at home as long as you like.
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Heya
    I was tested pos for Strep B, they said as long as my waters were still intact i could stay home as long as i wanted.
    I also got told, that Strep B comes and goes, so one week you can test pos, and anotehr week you can test neg, and its also natural to have it
    I dont think there is any other way to get rid of it, and id rather be safe than sorry.

All of the other people above are correct; having Group B Strep at the start of pregnancy is no guarantee that you will have it at the end. Try visiting a homeopath; we were given garlic, a few other things, and also a douche that you can use to restore a normal vaginal flora.

Ask to be re-swabbed at 38 weeks, and hopefully you'll be fine. And as all of the others have pointed out, it only really becomes a problem once the waters have broken, up until that point there is no reason why you can't stay at home.

Just wanted to share another side of this... My daughter ended up with Strp b 8 wks after she was born by c/s, which is a little weird in its self... However, she was really, really sick and ended up (back) in hsp for 9 days with a drip in. It was awful, very stressful for my husband and I to see her like that, she wouldn't suck so I ended up having to express, my milk supply went down, she cried for the first two day straight it was horrible. I think having a line in to give you the anitbiotics to stop it crossing over is really the better option once your waters have broken. This is just my opinion

Thank you all so much;
    I had actually seen on an American show that they can give some sort of antibiotics during pregnancy, that would mean a drip wasnt needed. But I cant seem to fnd any info about it anywhere. I am curious as to whether anyone knows if this is an option in australia, even though i really like the natural remedies....