Thread: Strep B Testing

Default Strep B Testing

Hello All

I had no idea about Strep B during pregnancy, or in general for that matter until I started reading some preg topics on the internet.
    I understand that you are supposed to have testing for this when you are pregnant but I am positive that I was not tested for it. Bit late now as I have had my DS.

Is it common practice to test for this or not, and should I ask to have it for my next pregnancy?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Have a read of this topic from last week: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=12856
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mizzsocial Guest

wow i cant belive you werent tested for it.. usually they do a swab at 36 weeks,.. as far as i knew, it was a standard test..

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My Ob didn't test for either of mine. As he said, some Obs do some Obs don't and it goes in and out of fashion... in his words. It can come and go; you may be positive at the time of the test and negative at birth and vice versa.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was never tested. I never questioned my Obs either as I trusted that he knew what he was doing.

littlerigger Guest

well I've just had my 36 week appointment and not tested. As the other topic says, it's transient so because you test + or - now isn't really a positive reflection on the reading you will give at birth.

I have not been tested either but asked my gyno about it and he said that you can be positive and negative all through pregnancy and he has had more problems with ladies testing negative and then when giving birth they are positive.

He said unless your waters break with no labour, or you are prior to 36 weeks, or you have a long labour, then they won't bother testing or give you antibiotics. If one of these occur though it is an automatic given that you will be given anitbiotics during labour.

I was tested at 37 weeks though it was meant to be 36 weeks. I agree with Shereejoy though!!!