Thread: Stretch mark prevention

Default Stretch mark prevention

Hey Ladies,

Just wondering what everyone uses to try and prevent stretch marks - do you buy something specail or is moisteriser OK? Stretch marks are ages away for me, but better to be prepared hey!

TIA

Just make sure you keep moisturising. Dry skin makes you itchy and scratching causes stretch marks.

drink lots of water....eat things with zinc (snow peas have zinc).....but at the end of the day, you either have lots of elastin in your skin or you don't....
    I used Palmers cocoa butter which might have helped slow them down? I reakon I stretched some more in labour too.....anyway. I'm now using Bio Oil to fade them.
    Good luck!

Is the Bio Oil helping that you can tell yet??

I used moisturiser religiously every day but still got them. I think it does really depend on your elastin and maybe size?? I'm only small boned and 5'2" and last pg - pre pg weight 45kg so I'm not sure if that's a factor as well.

I have been using Palmers cocoa butter. I'm not really pregnant enough to be getting stretchmarks yet so I dont know if its working to stop/lessen stretches, but it keeps my skin nice and moisturised. Its so dry and scaly if i dont use it.

I think some people are just more prone to them than others.

Body Shop Cocoa Butter and Boots Firming Gel - one is in the bedroom, the other in the bathroom, so it depends when I remember. Usually put on when I remember - either twice a day to once every three days. No stretch marks yet, but then there are some people who haven't spotted the bump yet, so that could be why.

For me... the best stretch mark prevention would have been not getting pregnant !!! lol

With James... I tried everything... and I got stretch marks EVERYWHERE!!! So bad, that one of the midwives remarked that it looked like James was going to tear his way out.

I do agree with Natalie though, dry skin makes it itchy and therefore makes it worse.

I have used Bio Oil from day dot, once a day (now 25 weeks). I have a couple tha have just appeared on my hip but none on my big belly yet. I think to some extent if youare going to get them, you will get them no matter what you do.
    THe coco butter gave me a bad itchy belly rash when I tried it :eek: went straight back to bio oil after that episode!