thread: Study links morning sickness to brighter kids

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Schmickers on Facebook

Jan 2006
    Port Macquarie, NSW

Study links morning sickness to brighter kids

CTV.ca | Study links morning sickness to brighter kids

Dec 2008

That's really interesting. My sister suffered the worst morning sickness ever with her 1st pregnancy and her son is so smart. He is the smartest child I've ever seen and his teacher says the same. She's pregnant now and is suffereing terrible MS again. Poor thing.

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

Did you notice the coments people left at the bottom of the article? There are always party poopers aren't there?

Mar 2007
    Paradise

I really think MS has more to do with the mother's senstivity to the hormone than anything. I have only had nausea and minimal vomiting (min 0 max 2) with all 3 of my pregnancies. Em has recently had a developmental assesment, and was classed as advanced. Sarah is now learning to colour inside the lines (not neat but what 3 year old is?). I dont think the amount of MS I suffered has disadvantaged them in any way, I am just not that sensitive to hCG. I dont feel that this article is a true representation, because very few women don't suffer MS. Why should those who don't be told that because they don't their child is not likely to be as smart? I am sorry but I find that rather unfair, I didn't choose to be less sensitive to hCG.

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Then by golly Michael I daresay you've got some genius' in your household

Funnily enough I'd say this to be somewhat true. Out of MIL's 5, 2 have high IQ's. One is in Mensa and one could be if he wanted to. However she had what your lovely wife had for all pregnancies.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006
    Getting to know Brisbane all over again

well my kids are going to be bloomingly brilliant then - especially Miss A - my goodness I was still throwing up on my due date with her - yuck. Adding this to my list of "things I have done for you" hehehe

Ali - hon, you know they are forever coming up with these ridiculous coincidences and as you said you have had morning sickness so therefore nourished their little brains.

Perhaps the increase is because we spend so much time hanging over toilet bowls which allows more blood to reach their brains - haha. I was very familar with my toilet.

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

Guess that explains my kids then?

And me.

Feb 2009
    Moody Melbourne

Well it appears my child is destined to be a bloomin' genius as I've been suffering from 24-hr sickness most days since I've been pregnant.

Jul 2007
    in a super happy place!

Excellent.. Will start saving for DS's university fund to become a doctor as I was horribly sick for the first 6 months of my pregnancy - then for the last 4 weeks - clearly my body wanted to make him a little bit smarter

Mar 2008
    In my own twisted little universe

OMG - does that mean Blue is going to win a Nobel Prize???

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Well, My girls should be rocket scientists, & DS, hmm, somewhat smart, but I had HG with the girls!

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

ok im a little concerned about this study...
    first of its only 121 women(not a large study) surely over 5 yrs more then 121 women rang the hotline?, also the fact that only the mothers IQ was included as if iq is only hereditory not also environmental, babies breast fed or formula?

Koren says the most important message pregnant women should take from the study is that diclectin, which is the only medication approved to help relieve morning sickness, is safe and effective.
    THIS is the scariest part that he is pushing a drug.. so it makes me wonder who paid for this study and if it was more to do with if this drug has an effect on baby then on morning sickness(alll disgused under another name) because very few mothers would choose to do a drug study while pg...

JMO

May 2004
    Shepparton

Hmmm... Banjo would have been the smartest out of all of my little un's....

Jul 2006

DD1 is going to be my smarty pants then.....although right now it looks as if she has my blonde genes...LOL

Feb 2005

Ooooh, scary 'study'. Trying to associate a brand name medication for pregnant women with IQ scores - even if the results don't connect the two, putting both in the same article makes associations for people doesn't it?

Maternal and Paternal IQ should be included, not just maternal. 121 is a very small sample size for a study like this. And 5 years is in no way relevant when talking about IQ scores for an actual study.

I had next to no morning sickness in 4 pregnancies - not one vomit so far . My firstborn is a genius. This has probably got more to do with smart parents though than how many barfs I had while pregnant.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

I'm not convinced of the authenticity of a study that pushes drugs on you...

Add Schmickers on Facebook

Jan 2006
    Port Macquarie, NSW

Well, sadly, most research these days is funded by pharmaceutical companies. It is the sad reality of medical research that a lot of very good research might not be done if it wasn't for drug company funding.

Having said that, I'm certainly not throwing my support behind this study. But hey, it might explain why my children are just so damn smart... :P

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

Yaeh, I know, that's the catch 22 isn't it?