Thread: The stuff that no-one talks about....

Default The stuff that no-one talks about....

It was so hard going to the doctor and explaining that I thought I may have (sorry TMI) Haemorroids (sp?) but just needed some reassurance that this was in fact all it was.......

After being told that I was lucky enough to have internal piles (a much nicer word I think) I was also told to brace myself for them to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

His remedies:

Increase Fibre - I already take metamucil everyday and even put that beneful stuff on my breakfast!! I have a touch of IBS so too much metamucil gives me stomach growls and spasms that actually keep me awake.... how much more fibre can I increase by

Increase water intake - Currently drinking 2 x mls of bottle water at work. A glass of juice or water in the morning before I leave home, I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty and drink then, with lunch I usually have a 600ml bottle of milk and when at home I drink about another litre of water..... hmmm me thinks I better up my intake some more how does 6 litres sound?? I thought 2 - 3 was sufficient (sorry just a little frustrated at being told things I already know and am already doing)

Increase activity - this was a fair statement, I work in an office where I literally sit all day except for once a week errands. So each night DP and I are going to go for a walk around the block - I'm too tired these days to do much more and generally the feeling of pressure on my bladder after 10 minutes is enough to make me think I'm going to wet myself then and there but hey something is better then nothing right ????

So anyway..... (again sorry TMI ALERT) The bleeding that I am experiencing is worrying me a little - even thought the doc says it is normal and to be expected and as long as it doesnt become constant etc etc I will be fine but I was hoping there was something more I could do to help.

I had a look at the article on this site and saw something about Tissue Salts and looked into it a bit further. They aren't expensive and they are pretty readily available. SO my question for all you out there is.......

Have anyone tried these tissue salts and am I wasting my money on a remedy that has not be proven to help or did they actually work and are really worth trying??

Anyone with other remedies I would love to hear from as well

TIA

Bah. I hate them, but at least I haven't had any bleeding. I kind of dread b.m.'s because I have to practically take a shower afterwards to clean properly. Though I have started using baby wipes, it helps.

I've been doing all those good for your body things throughout the pregnancy and I'm still constipated with 'roids. I use a dab of Preparation H, it stops it hurting and reduces swelling. Also, I try to prop up my feet (on the edge of the bathtub) when I'm trying to go, it does help.

Yucko.. had them on and off until around 3 months after Oskar's birth! I actually found that a little paw paw ointment helped me. Hope you find something to help! Oh and yeah I agree... I drink water like a fish and eat a good amount of fibre and still had issues!!! Begs the question how much is enough...lol.

With my first preg i was constantly constipated- the iron tabs were too much for me... I eat alot of fibre, ok the water levels could be up and yeah be more active i tryed all of these things and no change... After the birth i had huge probs with roids, and has been a problem ever since... before i fell preg a secon time i was taking laxitives to ease the problem (normal for me to have no B.M for 7-10 days even more.... ) i get so bloated, and am in so much pain when i do go... Best to try not even letting yourself get even the slightest bit consitpated..

This preg i have been having extra servings of all bran or stutana bran... eating plenty of hi firbe foods, Prunes, dates, sultanas, green veges, drinking heaps of fluids also i take coloxyl tabs when i feel myself getting bound up... there safe while preg but your body can get used to them and you canbecome dependant on them... also i'm tring pear juise... Its heaps sweet and kinda yuk on its own but seems to be helping ok...

I would suggest a hemoroid cream for the discomfort and pain... soaking in a bath can help also try some nice bath oils aswell...

My dp says if any "normal" person ate as much fibre as i do then they'd have the opposite problem...

Are you constipated? 'Cause what your doctor told you will relieve constipation, which is a major contributing factor to haemorrhoids, but if that's not your issue, then I don't think you need to drink more! The exercise is always a plus though.

Epsom salt baths are supposed to be quite helpful for relieving pain and swelling. You can also make a paste of epsom salts and tiny bit of water and apply that to the area.

Kegels are supposed to help.

I used a WONDERFUL product called proctofoam after Emily was born. (I had a very painful external haemorrhoid.) It really helped relieve the pain and swelling quickly. It was kind of expensive though (although worth every penny to me!) and I don't know if it's safe in pregnancy or not.

Chilled witch hazel on a cotton pad applied to the spot helps.

Hope you get some relief soon! You might find more info also in the "body after baby" section, since lots of mums get them during delivery.

Jess - like you I can go for up to 2 weeks without going (so I realised over the xmas break) but what I have is internal - they arent 'protruding' so to say (which I must say I am very happy about).

We did a bit of shopping on the weekend and although I have never eaten prunes before I got some of those and put them on my weetbix in the morning, bought some grape juice (heard it helps) and a few other bits and bobs but in saying that it is important to up the water intake with the fibre otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Because it is an internal problem my doc tells me to just wait it out till after the baby is born thats why I was wondering about the tissue salts.

I've never actually heard of the tissue salts so not much help there....

Are you taking vitamins or any other meds that can be affecting it... I found after recently trying the Raspberry leaf tabs it wasmaking me worse. did some research and yep they can cause constipation. I havent taken any multi vitamins for 3 months as no matter how little iron they have in them, ano no matter how much fibre i eat they still bind me up.

TMI*** I was so badly consitpated few months back that i was on the loo for hours, couldnt get off... wont go into too much detail....

after i finally managed to get off, i swore i would never get to that bad again... if i havent gone within 3-4 days i take some coloxyl and senna tabs down heaps of water, i will even have allbran for every meal.... there is nothing worse then being bound up....

I'm not a fan of prunes either, also look for recipies like Date loaf (like a cake) things that use the ingredients you need to help you go... Allbran muffins etc.

I found my roids were worse after birthing bubs... They say from the pushing... i was also told not to strain when going to the loo- like thats is possible when you are constipated...

Perhaps maybe try some suppositries when things get hard they may help the internal piles with the added... um lubricant .....

I deeply sympathise with you, it is a truly aweful thing to experience and one preg symptom i could definatly go without...

Good luck hope you get some info on the tissue salts

I have never had any roids or internal piles (agreed - sounds nice ), but I do suffer from constipation time to time. I also drink lots of water and eat lost of fibre, but at the ripe age of 27 I have FINALLY found my answer to my blocked up system .... THE GYM

I have been sick the past two weeks with the flu and could not do any exercises. I started getting blocked, you know that feeling - gassy, bloated, uncomfy. I was back at the gym this morning and not more than two hours later ... relief.
    So getting more active might just do the trick. You could also try some LIGHT (STRESSING LIGHT) ab exercises????? Just as you are doing the dished, keeping your back as straight as possible, flex and release your stomach muscles, by breathing in deeply and trying (not that you would actually see that ) to pulling your navel into your spine, hold for 5 counts and release while exhaling. Working that muscles, helps your intestines "move" So for me, while exercise is great for constipations, geting your tummy muscles active and working did the trick. Not only will it help constipation, but having strong abs, hence good posture, can keep back pain at bay.
    PS - Please I am not a dr and if you hurt when you contract your abs, stop. I was still doing crunches until I was about 30 weeks and I believe that that helped me not getting constipated or having any back pain.

Hey hun. Not fun, eh?

1) Go to the $2 shop and get yourself a little low stool. Put this in front of you and put your feet up on it when you have a BM. The higher your knees are, the more unkinked your bowel gets. (We are actually designed to squat on the ground, which "open up" the bowels and pelvic area - birth anyone? ) This will at least take some of the strain off your bowels.

2) Keep on with the usual, fibre, water, etc. I'm hoping that the more excercise you do, the more your energy will increase, and will lead to longer walks! Walking is great - massages the bowels.

3)Horsechestnut, vitamin E, vitamin C - these are all nutrients that are safe to take during preg, and ALSO help to strengthen connective tissue (ie, veins/arteries etc). Head down to your local chemist/health food store and have a look at what they have. They are a more long term solution. If a product is not safe to take during pregnancy, it should have a warning on it. Ask a naturopath if in doubt!

4) Everyone has given really good advice - good luck! I hope they ease soon.

(Oh, and one last one - slippery elm is BRILLIANT, not just for heartburn etc, but it soothes and coats the digestive tract, all the way down - brilliant relief. )