Thread: Subway

Wilson Guest

Default Subway

Just wondering if anyone knows if its ok to have subway still when pregnant or whether it wouldn't be the best of options, or whether some subs are ok but others arn't??

Thankyou

SmallNads Guest

Great question! I'm known as the Subway queen at work because I eat it that much....

I assume it would be ok, depending on what ingrediants you chose. I'd probably avoid the meats (don't know how long they've been sitting there growing bacteria) and stick to salad type fillings.

I'll be watching this thread in interest...

I ate lots of Subway in third trimester....I just avoided any of the processed meats. Just make sure that the store you go to looks hygienic, and that the salads are fresh (ask).

I don't know I always thought thier bread rolls where those bake at home style bread rolls your not supposed to eat? ? ? I wouldn't be eating any of the meat either.

Why can't you eat bake at home bread rolls?

I hadn't heard anything about the bread rolls? But when I was PG I used to have the vege patties which they heat up in the microwave on salad all the time at Subway....I didn't have any processed meat throughout my entire PG, so that was my alternative...I also didn't have the mayonaise as I was wary of that too.

Melinda Guest

I've never heard anything about not being able to eat bake-at-home rolls either.

Don't know about not eating bake at home bread!

As the other girls have said, I would keep away from the meats and only eat the salads if they are fresh. Tell them that you are pregnant and if they seem dodgy, don't eat them!

Best wishes

I read some where that the bake at home bread rolls are a no no because they are half baked when packaged. I will try and find where I read it . . . .

Fruitwood Guest

I am so glad that you asked this question as it was one that came accross my mind today. I always order a subway club with roast beef, ham & turkey but had to think twice today about whether or not it was safe for me to still eat Ham. I'm going to check with my dr tomorrow at my appointment and also ask about Prawns. I love prawns that you can buy cooked at the seafood markets but i'm unsure whether these are safe to eat when pregnant. I am so glad you asked this question as now I know i'm not the only one, lol.

Best Wishes
    Sharon

Wilson Guest

Thanks
    Ok well i'll see how i go... i only generally get the hot ones there of late anyway like chicken fillet and meatballs but may be best to stay away from those for a bit anyways

I was wondering about ham as well if it was classified as a processed meat if it was the shaved off the bone kind but then i don't like to buy any meats anymore that sit there in the deli with all the others...

I love Subway! I always get something really boring from there though - White roll, chicken fillets, cheese and lettuce and bbq sauce. Boring, but i like it heheh but the chicken is probably processed chicken, because even when you take the stuff of the outside of it, it doesnt look like real chicken you buy at meat shops.

I have also heard the same about the bake at home rolls.
    Actually, now that i think about it, I bought them once at coles or somewhere, and they were really doughy and seemed half cooked... so it does sound right that they might be half cooked when you get them. Wouldnt you think they would go bad quicker if they were half cooked?

About ham, I reckon some ham is processed meat, like if you buy prepackaged ham - It says "processed meat" on the ham packet . But i think if you shave it off the leg its not, cause it doesnt get all that stuff done to it? Maybe not though..?

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, this is the info that i'm now following. Avoid eating anything that is servered cold, luke warm or is heated up by take away places & restaurants, avoid all items which can be purchased at the deli department of your supermarket, with the exception of raw foods that you are going to cook yourself. Avoid roasted chickens unless you are going to pull the chicken apart and heat it to a high temperature, do not eat them if they are in a salad or left in a warmer. Listeria can be found in all these items and it's better to be more cautious than not. Avoid all hams and ham or pork cured products, these could contain a rare but servere form of Blood Poisoning called Botulism. Avoid precooked seafood and beware of fish which could contain high levels of mecury. Hope this helps a little bit. This is my first pregnancy so I am probably a little more over the top and cautious, worrying about everything, lol.

Best Wishes
    Sharon

Karlee Guest

Hi

i ate subway through out my second pregnancy, and just made sure that i had a hot one and they heated it up in front of me I was told to stay away from the processed meats and things that couldnt be heated up.

Melinda Guest

I remember asking my OB specifically about ham (I eat it all the time) and he told me it was perfectly safe as it is a cooked meat. I would go and buy it straight from the butcher where they would cut off the amount I wanted and I'd only buy small portions so it was only in the fridge for a day or two at most.

Default reply

I had chicken fillets subways in my 3rd trimester, and it was fine, but until your in your thirs, id wait and just have salad ones. O

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Have had the sweet onion terriyaki and the meatball subs, and everything is fine with bubs, as you can see I'm almost there.