Thread: Summer baby, what do we need?

Default Summer baby, what do we need?

Hi ladies
    As you know our first bub is due Dec & we just found out it's a girl.
    Just wondering what we need clothes wise, how many of things etc?
    How long are they in 4 zeros & 3 zeros for?
    Thanks ladies we have been shopping but really have no idea exactly what we need!

Not much! I had a summer bub and all he lived in was singets and a nappy and a lightweight onsie at night. He only wore clothes when we went out somewhere. They aren't in 0000's for that long at all, so best to only have a few items that size and most in 000's, especially considering that summer could last well into April, but seeing as how you are in Melb, you may need some long onsies just in case you get a cold snap.

Depending on how big your bub is id say they would be in 4 zeros for a little while as most 4 zeros are based on 4kgs and 56cms. I would get quite a few jump suits as thats what they will mostly be in.

I loved muslin wraps. Great if you have a summer bub that likes to be wrapped

Depends if you get a whopper or not. DD wore 00000 for at least six weeks and then 0000 for a couple of months after that. DS wore one outfit that was 0000 and that was cos I squeezed him into it to go home from hossy lol. Get mainly 000's. You can always get smaller if necessary. I found that singlets one size up are better anyway. Easier to get over wobbly heads.
    I'm also a fan of muslin wraps, singlet suits and just a nappy. My kids lived in them. I'm not a fan of 'outfits' cos they're fiddly and either get pooed on or puked on or dirbbled on - but each to their own.
    If people want to know what to get you, tell them to get stuff in bigger sizes. Always nice when you've realised that they don't fit their current sizes anymore to have some thing on hand that's bigger.
    Don't forget to also get a couple of little pairs of socks. Genreally you'll be inside over summer and usually in some sort of cooling adn their little toes do get cold.

I've had 2 Melbourne summer babies and found that singlet suits, t-shirt onesies and wondersuits are your staples. Some little shorts to pull on over the onesies are good too. I don't like muslin wraps as my girls are escape artists and they would never wraps tight enough so I prefer the jersey or t-shirt material wraps. You will need to wondersuits for night time as it does get chilly. Some light weight cardigans and long leg pants are also essential for cooler days.

My DD1 was in 0000 for about 9 weeks (2.9kg at birth) and DD2 about 6 weeks (3.8kg)

I had little one at the very end of the hot weather in Brisbane. She wasn't in 0000's for very long at all (a few weeks), and we just had her in singlets and nappies and onesies - and a muslin wrap at night.

Sue xx

We'll be having a December bub also, my boys where jan & march and i remember it being quite warm with DS1 but not a huge amount with DS2. I am planning on getting some comfy onsies also (long and short... good old Melb weather ), i've bought some muslin and i found some bargin little white ribbed cardigans, i got one in 000, 00 & 0 because i know they'll be great to match with anything. I love the singlet suits also and have gotten a few of those. Maybe a few 'going out' outfits but otherwise onsies are so great for comfort. A couple of 0000 things for the hospital could be a good idea, i have had 7lb bubs and 000 swam on them in the hospital but it didn't take long for them to comfortably fit into them.

If you're going to have a baby shower it's also a good idea to not buy too much until after that. Bub won't need a whole lot in the beginning and you could find you end up with so much you'll begin to pack away things that bub never wore or wore once. It's sometimes a good idea to buy 00 and 0's as people tend to buy for a newborn, that way you are not too overloaded in the beginning but have a few things to bring out as bub grows.

Enjoy shopping and all the best for the remainder of your pregnancy

I've had two just either side of new year's, both on balmy 45 degree days. Singlets and nappies is pretty much it, get sleeveless onesies with snaps at the crotch when they start taking their own nappies off.

DD#1 was in 0000 for several weeks, then 000 for several months.
    DD#2 was in 0000 for several weeks, then 000 for 2 weeks (I was breastfeeding at the time, so those were an interesting 2 weeks), then 00 for the next few months.
    DS looks like he's about to pop the seams of our last 0000 onesies (Target ones are quite roomy) and he's 5 weeks.

DD was an average size baby, and was only in 0000 for 3 weeks at most. This time i'll be buying a couple of 0000 for going out, but mostly 000's, he/she will be in singlet and nappy most the time anyway due to the heat, and i'm not concerned if 000 are a little bit big to start off with.