Thread: Sushi hand rolls

sophabulous Guest

Default Sushi hand rolls

Ok, so I know you can't have raw fish etc, but what about hand rolls with cooked tuna, or chicken or avocado?

Are these ok?

I would say that it would depend on where you get them. I wouldn't eat sushi from a sushi train where you don't know how long its being going around for but I ate the rolls from my local Korean sushi shop where they roll it fresh in front of you every time throughout my pregnancy.

Perhaps if you were making them yourself, however I avoided them cause they are 'pre-pared' and you don't know how long there might be sitting in the fridge at the place you buy them.

ive been eating them

sophabulous Guest

Oh GOD! I feel like I can't eat ANYTHING! Boo hoo.

haha soph i feel the same! but go to a place where they are busy and make them frquently. Or just ask them for a fresh one

Soph,
    It does feel a bit like you can't eat anything doesn't it!

Cooked rice has one of the highest rates of food poisoning. It is even now recommended that you discard all left over rice as the risk of food poisoning is so high.

Because obviosuly sushi rice is cooked and cooled I would steer clear. I learnt this from the dietician I saw (due to GD) in Eva's pregnancy. She said the latest recommendations were that pregnant women do not eat nori rolls for this reason. I love them and am normally a big eater of them but due to this I keep away whilst pregnant.

I eat hand rolls frequently but only from certain places and only if they're really cold. I've had no problems and they are so YUMMY!

Hi,

I eat them all the time but while i am pregnant i try to stick to vegetable rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
    Cooked rice has one of the highest rates of food poisoning. It is even now recommended that you discard all left over rice as the risk of food poisoning is so high.
    Does this mean any rice?? Even when you cook at home??

Grosby Guest

I have eaten it on the odd occasion, but the best suggestion I can make is to make it yourself, if you can be bothered, lol. My Sister made some on the weekend and it was delicious!!!!

Ozzie to qualify. If you cook rice at home and it is hot it's fabulously healthy for you. However, rice is one of those foods highly susceptible to bacteria. If you cook it and refridgerate it and eat it the next day you are at risk. It isn't safe in pregnancy to eat rice that has been cooked and cooled.

Even reheating rice you have cooked at home is iffy as many spores are reactivated by the heating process.

I know lots of people do eat sushi and have no problems but if you want to be ultra careful (and I certainly do) then choose something else for the next few months...