Thread: Swim Wear

Default Swim Wear

Hey Guys

My local gym holds an antenatal aqua class for PG women (obviously LOL) and I'm really keen to join up and get started. However I'm having a bit of a swim wear issue. None of my bathers fit me any more so I have to go out and buy a new pair.

Has any one bought maternity bathers before? Has anyone been able to fit into normal bathers throughout their pregnancy?? I'm not really sure what to buy especially seeing as maternity bathers are quite expensive and I probably won't be able to wear them afterwards. Also have people had 2 pieces or 1 piece? So many questions just for bathers LOL...

I guess I want to make sure that I buy a pair that I will fit into and be comfortable in throughout my pregnancy. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ok, 1 pg, I wore normal bathers the whole time, I bought them a bit big, and they were cheapies and stretched ( I had to throw them out after ) 1 pg I had tankini ( bikini with tank top) wore that the whole pg, bottoms went under belly top scrunched up over top of belly, if I felt self concious I wore a tshirt over the top. 1 pg just wore bikini top, and big board shorts, have never bought maternity bathers

Melinda Guest

Hi Lea,

Check this thread out on Maternity Swimwear.

I ended up buying some online and they were the 'Ripe' brand. I bought a black two-piece sort and they were GREAT. Well worth the money I spent on them. There was no way known I would have fitted into my normal bathers during my PG (which were also two piece, tank-top and boy-leg style).

Hi Lea,
    Im now 27 weeks and i still fit into the bathers i had before falling. mine are a 2 piece halter neck singlet style with the built in bra really comphy and apparently super stretchy lol. Anyways try Big W if you have a local store because they sell maternity bathers and they are pretty cheap. Alternately buy a singlet in a stretchy material and a pair of mens elastic waist boardies they look no diff to womens boardies but have the extra room that we need at this time plus you can wear your normal underwear underneath for the extra comfort.
    Have a great day
    Mel

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Lea,

I've got my first class tonight, and I have to admit this is my biggest worry too! I have decided that, rather than buy maternity bathers which will be obsolete in 13 weeks or so, I'm going to attempt a bikini bottom and tankini top, and I'm bringing a big T-shirt along just in case too. I've gotten generously sized bikini bottoms from Big W - no string bikini straps for me - and will use an existing tankini top I own. Half my tum is going to be hanging out, but I figure, so will everyone else's! Lol!

I'll let you know how I went tomorrow!

love
    sushee

My first pg i didn't really get a chance to wear swimwear as i was at work so much but this time i am now wearing a tankini top and pants. The top covers my belly and is the Bonds brand and i just had a spare pair of bottoms at home that go well with it. Last time i did an aqua class i still fitted into my one piece speedo type swimmers but that was prob about October (5-6 months pg)but they were stretching to fit. I guess it depends on where you buy them. And because i didn't obviously show i was pg till about 5 months i thought it was silly to spend alot of $ on Mat. swimwear.

Sal Guest

I bought a cheap tankini top from Target ($26) which has a full built-in bra...fantastic! I bought a large size and it still gets over my belly. I use a pair of my DH's boardies for my bottom half. It's not a fashion model look, but VERY cheap and gets the job done. I agree buying maternity swimmers would be such a waste.

Hi
    I brought a set of mat swimwear from pumpkin patch For $99.00 they came with a tankini top and over the belly bottoms and mat board shorts the only reason i went out to this expense this time is with this pg we have a pool at home so we are always in or around it and we went on holidays just before christmas and i didn't want to be the only one left out of the pool and surf i have definately got my money's worth out of them and i would imagine i will still be able to get some use from them next summer as well as the boardies have a draw string waist and the top isn't like a tent or anything

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Gee shazz,

in my own pool, I just use a bikini and a tank top over. No one besides my kids and DH can see me anyway, and they think it's funny that I even wear a tank top! Lol!

I didn't end up going yesterday so my daring fashion event has been postponed until tomorrow!

love
    sushee

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Viva Swimwear has maternitywear and are an affiliate of BellyBelly. I bought a pair from Monica Monkhouse, it is a nice two piece black pair which I wore post-natally too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

heljam Guest

Check out Seafolly - they have a tankini with ruching on the sides. Not specifically maternity bathers but I bought them and they are just so comfortable and can still be worn afterwards (if they're not too stretched). They are also in their current season fabric!! I felt so good in them and not self-conscious at all.