Thread: Swimming

colleeg Guest

Default Swimming

Hi Girls

is anyone doing any exercise to keep fit or just good. What do people thing about swimming, i have heard its great, but what are the benifits?

colleeg

I swam during most of my PG and I was told by my midwives that the benefits included incleasing your cardiovascular activity for labour, because its such hard work the more endurance you build up prior to labour the better, also it helps the muscles avoid excessive strain during labour, and it helps you get back into shape afterwards. The main benefit swimming has is its easy on your body as well, no joint strain or pressure put on particular points of your body.

Totally agree with what Christy has said........I found swimming to be such a benefit during pregnancy and for my overall flexibility/suppleness duuring labour.

During my pregnancy I found it SO relaxing and cooling and swam more or less every day (some days in the proper pool to do laps, other days in my GF's backyard pool just to bob about and play in the water).

After I gave birth to Olivia I had some hip problems and swimming fixed them all up.

I am still swimming in this pregnancy and am loving it......

Melinda Guest

I agree with everything that Christy and Lucy have said. I swam whilst I was PG and it was great. I found it REALLY relaxing, even though I was doing laps!!! It was nice as it took the pressure off all the joints.

I swim on a nice day and enjoy it even if i am just standing in the pool.

Hi,
    I am a swimmer normally, but haven't been able to in this pg at all. I find the muscles in my tummy pull and it kinda hurts. Also it frustrates me to go so slow.....
    I was determined to start again once the new year came along and just work through it, but no luck yet. I'm hoping when I finish work I can pop along to the local pool 3-5 times a week for the last few weeks.
    I was playing netball 1-2/week in the first 5 months, and since then work and walking around our site has kept me fairly fit!
    Fi

ive been going swimming a few times this pg, and found it to be good, it does pull on my tummy muscles a little but i find its the easiest form of excersise as its too hot to go for walk

take care
    Lesley

The great thing I found in swimming is that it can stretch muscles that don't normally move or move one way all the time... so when you come out your body feels like its had a good all over move... and with all that relaxin flowing through your preggy bods its a really good thing.

BUT don't overdue it if you do get those tummy pulls...