Thread: Sydney North

Default Sydney North

Hi there,
    Im having my third baby and so far am not happy with the hospital I had the other two. At the time it was great but now its' 24 hours and you're out (that's ok if that's how Im feeling, but I want the choice) and also they can't send midwives to me after that....
    Im wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere else? I wanted to go group midwives but am tossing up gyno now. Im with HCF and have NO idea about private cover. Does anyone have any experience, or tips on who to see, where to go, best value etc.
    For my first I saw Keith Hartman, and he is the cost of a new house now days.
    Thanks xo

Not sure where you are when you say Sydney North?
    I saw James (jim) ferry who is based in Manly for my second. He pretty much costs all your baby bonus ($3K) at the time but he does structure his fees so you don't have to pay it until you have it so the cash flow doesn't hurt as much.

Mater Hospital were great for the actual birth, but their after care was not awesome - given that they were going to send me home without my baby. Dr Ferry stepped in with a social worker and said "what a dumb idea - do you WANT her to have PND?? " so I stayed until we both went home after 6 days. Other than that(!) there are some fantastic midwives there.

My friend can't speak highly enough of the SAN (she's a nurse there) and others have raved re. RNS Private. have heard 50/50 views re. RNS Public.

Public hospitalwise - I really liked Mona Vale hospital for my first 6 years ago. Basically i went as a private patient in public hospital (regarding the room) so I was allowed to stay for as long as I damn well want. (7 days)

I totally recommend Rebeka Fisher who is A doula in DY - awesome!!
    Also there is a very cool birthing centre like the BB Melbourne one in Harbord which I think is amazing - I want to have a baby just so I can go there!!

I really can't recommend having a doula enough. In fact if I had to choose betwee an ob. and a doula due to costs I would move heaven and earth to have a doula! They can make all the difference in public or private, IMHO.

I loved the San, I have had 2 out of 3 of my babies there and it was fantastic both times.

Thanks guys!! I would actually like the Mater Nickel, but you have to have an OB to go there don't you? They don't have midwives do the deliveries do they? I will also look into the idea of a doula!
    I am near Chatswood by the way xoxo

I had DD at Manly hospital in 2005 & they were fantastic. I had a Vaginal birth & stayed in the hospital for 5 days & wasn't pushed to leave at all! I dont know what its like these days, I probably should ask LOL!

I have private health cover with HCF aswell but I went in as a public patient & got my own room the whole time etc so cant complain.

One more thing about Manly is that I have suffered from hyperemisis with DD & this bub aswell so I was admitted to the hospital during my first & second trimester. They told me I can give them a call if I ever want to come in for some fluids or even for some bed rest.... so helpful & wonderful to know thats there if needed. (I didnt take them up on it but a comfort to know I could if I wanted to).

The midwives there were wonderful, except one that was on one shift while I was there, I wont go into that as she was prob having a bad day & took it out on me & I'm sure you get one or two bad ones in every hospital??

I havent experienced any other hospitals but that my past experience with Manly.

Good luck making a decision

I'm another SAN fan. A good friend recently had her bubba at the Mater and she was really happy there. As for midwife led care, another friend went to Ryde Hospital (I think) and was very happy.