Thread: Teeth whitening?

Question Teeth whitening?

I am getting a heap of work done on my teeth and now that we are pregnant I am worried about the whitening part?

The dentist said that he is quite confident I can use to no affects? I am only about 7 weeks and will be using it for the next 2?

I read the instructions and it says not to use while BF and PG? I am really confused? I have already paid for it all and need to start as the old capping on my teeth is falling off!

Have you used Dentist grade whitening when pregnant? What should I do?

I wouldnt....not in the 1st trimester...but thats just me.
    I would be concerned the product says not to use whilst pg or b/f......why??? and why does your dentist feel this warning can be ignored ???
    Im sorry you have already paid for the product....but yeah, maybe call the company directly that make the product we're talking about....they might have the answers your looking for...

Good luck.......

Boomba, hopefully Janie will pop in babe, she's a dental nurse (I hope that's the right term!! ) so might be able to give you some advice!

Yeah thats what I thought too! it wont be ingested its in a mouth gaurd type thing. I will have to get DH to ring as I am too embarrassed and chicken after talking to him for ages about it today!
    Willow thanks hun that would be great! Janie where are you
    Thanks

Send her a PM, she's lovely she won't mind, and if she does tell her it was my idea! LOL

Thanks hun! Have done! Your a gem

Hi Boomba,

I have done the teeth whitening thing with the mouthguard- and as hard as I tried NOT to get any elsewhere- some did ooze out of the guard and into my mouth.
    The ingredients are toxic if ingested so you just have to be really careful not to 'ingest' any- personally I found this harder than it sounds. I remember that I started to salivate after a while having my mouth held open with the guard- and when you so desperately need to swallow its pretty hard to avoid ingesting any of the stuff- I remember tasting it when I swallowed. But hey, thats my experience- perhaps I used too much!

Personally I would avoid it- or at least wait until you are in the 2nd trimester....

HTH!

X

thanks Jelly bean! Thats exactly what i am worried about! I am not going to do it. Bubs is more important to me than my teeth! Although I dont know what I would look like with none

I'd probably hold off until after your pregnancy or at least until your second trimester. I've got a tooth whitening kit and did my teeth a few months before getting pregga's. You're advised to do a touch up every six or so weeks, but I'm just letting mine go until after bubs comes.

The active ingredient in the whitening gel is actually peroxide. The reason they advise you not to use is when preg or bf'ing is because there has been little or no research done into the effect this has on bubs. It's not just ingesting it that you have to worry about. The solution is up against your gums which means it gets absorbed it into your blood stream. The amount isn't enough to hurt you, but they don't know if it will effect bubs.

my dentist told me no whitening is recommended in preg.

Just saw this! Hope I helped a little bit

So it's all YOUR fault Willow LMAO!

Rang the Dentist today and said I wasnt comfortable doing it just yet. Thanks for all your help ladies