Thread: tetanus!

Question tetanus!

hey guys, i just cut myself on some steel and it did bleed a bit.(ok im not sooking )

Now my first question is...in what year at school were we given the tetanus shots? 7, 9 or 10?

Also, how long do the shots last? And can I have a shot while Im pregnant? And do I need one if the cut wasnt deep?

Thanks cherubs

mooshie Guest

danni

i think tetnus shots last around 10yrs, i can't remember when i had it at school but i know i have had if a few times since leaving school. i would give your gp or midwife a call and just see, better to be safe

I'm pretty sure i got mine in year 10.

most VIC schools do them in yr 10.
    I missed mine because I was sick, and still haven't had it.

**ETA - I'm not advising you not to have it...I think you should make some enquiries, and if you've cut your hand I hope you are at the doctors!

The current education about the tetnus shot is that once you have one in high school - you don't need to have another one unless you have cause to. Injuring yourself with a rusty object would count as cause. Danni - I would give the site a good clean and call the doc to get their opinion about needing a booster shot.

MG
    Last edited by Mother Goose; October 6th, 2006 at 06:29 PM.

Danni, I would speak to your doc about it. Usually you do get a booster shot if it's been more than a few years I think...??

I have had to have a few tetnus in the past 6 years because of workplace incidents involving dogs teeth... LOL I had one and 2 years later had to have another one because they felt like I should have it even though the bite was only small.

Danni - realistically, if you are reading this on Saturday - don't worry - you will be fine. You are also only a spring chicken so your one from school should still be fine.

My Doc told me the shot lasts for 10 years. I'd ask the doctor about what would be the best thing to do.

Being an engineer and working in prodution environments (well maybe in my previous life ) I have had to get one done every 5 years or so. I always seem to be tripping over and standing on a nail or cutting my hand on something sharp. They hurt like snot.
    I think if its been more than 5 years they like to give you another one to be on the safe side. Not sure how it works with pregnancy - hopefully you'll be fine

ok i rang my ob and he said it lasts for 10 years. However i wouldnt need one anyway unless the wound was getting infected, deep and looking yuck.

No needles for me thanks guys!

MG your a legend!!! I ahve a severe needle phobia & my last one was at school I think it wsa the middle of year 9? As I didnt continue in to yr 10... Anyways I am stoked about what you wrote, coz I am petrified of ever needing another!

I know it's pathetic I can birth children but not have 1 needle... blood tests make me nervous wrecks & yet once in labour I just dont feel pain?

chelleg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    They hurt like snot.
    ROTFLMAO Love it!