Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do before Bubs is born

Default Things to do before Bubs is born

Hi all,

I am trying to compile a list of things that need to be done before Jellybean is born and thought I would ask for some help!

I have just started and really only got 1 thing - have house sprayed for pests.

If you can think of anything else - more so relating to around the house stuff not stuff that need to be purchased (got a very large list for that)

Thanks!

Good on You for being so organised. I too have started to get all sorts of lists organised. I don't want to be stressing too much in the end.

I am going to organise a cleaner in the last couple of weeks to detail clean our bathrooms, oven etc. I am still doing the bathroom at the moment but it is starting to be a struggle.

Make sure pets needles, flea treatments are up to date.

I have been cleaning my clothes cupboards out and putting the clothes away that I haven't worn in ages and then at the end of the year if I still haven't thought to wear any of them then I will give them away.

Sorting out clutter in other cupboards also. It is amazing how much junk we accumulate and the best place for a lot of stuff is in the bin.

Organising pantry.

I hope some of these ideas help.

If you think of anymore I would be interested also.

Linda

Get the carpets cleaned? We're getting ours done soon... because I want that nice, clean feeling when I come home... we're getting the lounges cleaned too.

I would like to be real organised as well!! I havent made up a list yet but have a few things in my head that I would like to get done.

1. Get quote for installing doggy door and get doggy door installed.
    2. Get electrician in to install some more powerpoints
    3. Put shelves and curtains up in babies room
    4. Get installation in the roof (but this depends on money)
    5. Get backyard reno's finished (This is more for DP than me tho!)
    6. Tidy up cupboards, drawers etc.

I should really get a list started and check things off once I do them!

Lisa - getting carpets cleaned is a great idea! I am going to add that on my list too..

i was going to say carpets! thats a really important thing. Make sure you get them washed and then drycleaned, to get rid of little nasties

Taia's Mum Guest

Yep carpets for sure - before all the baby spew and poo his them! lol!

Also thinking of getting a major service done on my car - to make sure it's all ok seeing I'll be carting bubs around in it!

Powerpoints are also on my list!

Lay down some deep freezer dinners! The ability to pull out a casserole and heat it in the oven will be a godsend some evenings!

Make sure your curtains all block out the light ok cos there will be times when you want daytime darkness for sleeping!

I agree with big clutter clean out - you accumulate so much stuff when Bubba arrives, it will all need to go somewhere. Also try to create a space for the unfolded clean washing to live so it's not sitting in the loungeroom all the time!

And lastly, but most importantly - schedule some quality time with DH, good girl friends, and by your lonesome. Time is the most precious commodity with a newborn!
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Lay down some deep freezer dinners! The ability to pull out a casserole and heat it in the oven will be a godsend some evenings!

Make sure your curtains all block out the light ok cos there will be times when you want daytime darkness for sleeping!
    I couldn't agree more with these 2 suggestions!!! Thanks Mary

oh you might want to get your car fully detailed inside too.

Get out for a dinner, just you and your DP or DH. Trust me, things like this that you take for granted are so hard to come by once you have kiddies.

I can't remember the last time we got out for a meal by ourselves.

Great thread!

We have been busy over the holidays getting the house baby proof and to finish stuff we should have done a long time ago.

A few ideas:
    * clean out garage or property from any excess garbage
    * get anything installed or put in that you have been thinking about
    * get tax return done
    * do any shopping for the house that you haven't got around to, any shopping at all for that matter as it will be a lot harder with a newborn
    * get all the dry cleaning up to date, quilts etc
    * get any applicances fixed that are broken or need repair i.e. dishwasher, oven etc
    * change name on driver's licence if applicable - I hadn't picked up our wedding certificate at the registry of BD&M until last week!
    * redeem any award points for credit cards
    * go to any restaurants you've always wanted to go to
    * go to the movies
    * go anywhere you love that is non-child friendly
    * catch up with friends
    * organise your baby shower

Great!! These suggestions are great and some I didn't even think of!!!

Carpets are definately on top of the list as ours are gross!! So will get them cleaned or new ones laid down.....probably cleaned is the more $$ wise at the moment

Love the idea of a cleaner for the bathroom and Oven. DH does a great job on the showers but he leaves a lot of other 'areas'. Mum might be hired for this I think

I am lucky to have leather seats in my car so its all nice and clean ready for the car seat!!!

Keep the suggestions coming...I can't think of anymore now

These are some things I have thought of, sorry if any have already been said:

* Stock up on non perishable foods and bathroom/laundry products so you won't have to do any big shops in the first few weeks
    * Clean inside of a car
    * Cook some meals and freeze them
    * Catch up with friends
    * Have some quality time with your partner
    * Clean out cupboards/pantry

Definately stock up on extra meals in the freezer - the last thing you feel like doing when bubs arrives is cooking!!!! Oh and leave some room in there for any meals you might be given when the little one arrives.

Hiya girls - this aint really my area anymore (sigh!) but hopefully will be one day. If I could put in a suggestion - write your bubba a letter about how you feel, right now. Some of you might already be keeping journals, but tell your bub how much you love them right now. Then, when they are a few months old, read it again. You will be amazed at how much MORE you love them then. Kinda like the sone - "I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow"

Oh and make lots of frozen meals!!!

Frozen meals! Not only normal frozen meals (I've been freezing down extra whenever I make something for a while) but also look at getting a slow cooker and getting used to it now, that way you can cook dinner just after lunch in between naps (because I know I'll not be able to cook dinner at the right time!).

Organise nursery - that will involve moving furniture, so do that early!

While you still can, crawl around on your hands and knees to find out where the dangerous areas are - sockets, radiators, sharp edges... and babyproof the house. You won't have time to do it when the crawling starts! This will also involve quite a bit of decluttering, so be prepared to spend quite a while on it.

Make sure your family know when you want them to visit... my family STILL don't get it after months of arguments!

Not only do coupley things with your DH, but also talk about parenting: what does and doesn't he want to do (my DH doesn't want me to express so he can feed Liebling, for example). What about punishment, saying no, ornaments that are usually low down? Do that before the baby is here so you don't have the arguments later.

Sort out bills so that you don't have to pay things for the first few months (either direct debit or write the cheques now and just get someone to post them on the right date). Good plan; that's something I should do for the few I haven't set up like this!

When you leave work, sort out yourself so you do minimal housework, just keep everything ticking over. It's going to be a pain otherwise! Also, to avoid being a recluse with the baby organise yourself for coffee mornings and things like that - yes, you can miss some, but you'll have people calling you up to see how you are if you miss too many and getting out the house with the baby is good for you. OK, not in the first week, but certainly after a couple of weeks. You need it for your mental health. (Make sure you find a coffee group that's OK with breastfeeding, if that's the way you want to go.)

Make sure your DH can use the washing machine in case you don't have time to do it, or can't bend over to load it.

I had another thought today... organise to have your lawns done so that your DH isn't having to worry about that and he can concentrate on spending time with you and the baby.
    Now... off to organise the lawnmower guy

On my list is;

* Get DH to finish Blooming Cot!!!!!!!!!!! (long story!)

and

* Catch up with all my friends. I'm not having a baby shower and I feel it's really important to catch up with each of my friends before Bub arrives. I'm the first to have a baby in our circle and don't want anyone to feel like I'm "moving on" or that they're any less important to me. As important as my bubba is, they (my friends) are still an important part of my life!

and

* Spending quality time with my husband before we become "three"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast