Thread: Third trimester - what helps you?

Custardtart Guest

Default Third trimester - what helps you?

Over the past week I've noticed a very distinct change in discomfort levels as the baby grows and I enter the third trimester. I thought I'd start a list of things that help relieve the body and mind, and would be very interested in finding out what other people do to restore themselves.

My favourite things:
    - Warm baths to relax the stomach muscles and ease back tension
    - Lush products, which smell delicious and don't irritate my skin - I am particularly fond of their 'figs and leaves' soap at the moment, which is extremely gentle and moisturising, and their 'honey buzz' body powder, which is a very soft version of talc that stops my skin itching when I sweat (otherwise I scratch until I bleed). They have shops in Chadstone or the city, or you can order online
    - peppermint and clove foot cream
    - Chamomile tea, rehydrates and boosts the auto-immune system
    - prayer, which I find very relaxing, soothing and reaffirming.

I also have an exercise schedule of two swimming/hydrotherapy sessions and one pilates session each week, I find it essential to keep my flexibility and core strength up. I have a spinal injury and so am paranoid about back strength, I've found that because I've exercised right through the pregnancy I have less back pain than in either of my previous pregnancies, even though I had no injury then!

I'm looking for more ideas on how to make these last few months bearable, as I know it is only going to get harder. What helps you?

Kerrie

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Kerrie

I Must say in the last couple of weeks I've noticed my comfort levels are fading fast.I have a sore lower back, depending where shes laying, and sometimes have pain between my shoulder blades(obviously from my boobs!) and get tired soooo easily now.

I find laying down and having a nap most certainly helps me with my back pain and takes the pressure off for a couple of hours.

Also I find hot baths help but not as much as having a lay down.

Getting a soft back massage from DH helps too and feels great.Oh and foot massages are nice too.

I try to go for a walk whenever I can even if I don't feel like it, just to get the blood pumping.

I can't beleive you are doing pilates!I couldn't imagine doing them right now!I try to keep active but I am absolutely massive now and people can't beleive it when I tell them I have 12 weeks to go!!!And to be honest I'd like to hear peoples ideas as well because I'm so uncomfortable and can't imagine another 12 weeks just getting bigger!!!!!!!!!

I have raved about them before, but I have some pregnancy relaxation CD's which I swear by.......I just hop into bed, get on my side, stick a pillow between my knees, press play and the next thing I know I have had THE BEST sleep and wake up feeling lovely..........(still huge, but lovely!)

Default reply

I found back rubs very helpful, but apart from that I hated the last trimester, I was pretty much over it from 20 weeks, but I'll definatley try those if we have a third.

PS Kerrie-you go girl at doing pilates and swimming!

Custardtart Guest

Thanks, girls.
    Anyone else? I find I need to have a nap after lunch most days because of the broken nights, I wake up pretty consistently every two hours and have to roll over because of the pressure on my hips. Lying down takes the pressure off the stomach for a while.
    I am careful about the temperature of the hydrotherapy pool, although that is most important in the first trimester, I believe. It felt a little warmer than usual last week so I did my exercises in the normal pool instead.

Kerrie

Kerrie....the hip thing is so painful, I agree! This pregnancy I got an old doona and have used it as an underlay beneath our bottom sheet........it has made a heap of difference for me: just the extra padding helps.......I still wake for the bladder, but no-where near as much for the painful hips........

Kirsty77 Guest

Thats a great suggetion Lucy... cause I'm at my wits end at the moment waking with sore hips!Last night was the worst with me waking up crying cause it was so achy and unbearable.I will try the doona as an underlay ..

When I was in 3rd trimester, I found the most comfortable position to relax in was on the couch, with a body pillow, especially supporting my tummy. I found that sleeping next to DH was very annoying as I felt every little bump and move.

Also, I found sitting and rolling on my fit ball comfortable.

And burning lavander oil and yes the peppermint foot cream - bliss!

Resting with my feet up has helped me. I am very fortunate that I have not done housework or cooking throughout my pg especially in the 3rd tri. DH does everything and it has made a big difference to me being able to stay full time at work and have energy left at the end of the day. Also showers have been great and help with the BH contractions.