Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Those little items/products you couldnt do without!

Lansinoh (pure lanolin) nipple cream - start using it twice a day in your third trimester, and will make the nipples nice and supple in preparation, then use it after every feed.
    Dummy - just in case (Jackson had his 1st day as even the midwives couldn't settle the little bugger - has sucked on it ever since!!!)
    Rocker or bouncer - you don't need an expensive one, but one that you can hang some toys on is great
    Playmat with hanging toys and some kind of sounds or music - Jackson adored his, and now that we have it set up again for Leo he sneaks into his room and plays with it.
    Bath support - really helps the back and means you don't have to waste money on a baby bath, bubs can just go in trough when smaller and then in bath. The one we had was a plastic moulded one almost like a layback armchair with a bit between the legs as well that supported baby completely leaving both hands free.
    Good nappy bag - something with lots of compartments for medicines, creams, wipes etc.
    Best thing we ever received that Jackson still uses every night to this day is a musical piture frame, it has a picture of me and his daddy with him after he was born and you turn the little clown on it and it plays twinkle twinkle, he has this on every night before bed, and was fantastic to start off his nighttime routine!!

Oh gosh what a fantastic response, thank you so much everyone. There is definitely some items that have been repeated on the thread so they must be great for baby!
    A couple of questions,
    Would a microwave steraliser be better than an electric one???
    Would a electric breast pump be better than a manual one?
    Would you recommend a baby bath that you can please over the top of your own bath?? Are these available in shops??

Thanx again everyone, this is such a big help! There is so much out there for baby it gets a little daunting sometimes.

Iused a normal baby bath put it on the washing machine great height for sore backs and we used it for 4 months

steriliser if your going to use one, I had a 2nd hand avent electric took 9-12min have a micro take 5min so gave avent back and stuck with micro quicker easier and can store in micro when not in use saves bench space, but check the size of steriliser versus you micro they are alldifferent sizes I use a target one at our holiday house and tommee tippee everyday

I have heard the avent isis is one of the better pumps on the market it is great for budget concious people price wise, having not used it I can't tell you personally

I just bought a manual breast pump to use, I got a tommee tippe one that is used in conjunction with the closer to nature bottles which are meant to be great if you are doing combination boob and bottle because they are very natural feeling for bubs. I have heard, that these days the manual pumps are pretty much as good as the electric.

As far as sterilisers go, microwave are heaps cheaper and they all do the same job, I used a microwave one with Jackson, and it was brilliant, just make sure the one you get fits in your microwave.

Wow - I just have to say, what a great thread!!! I've been doing quite a bit of shopping lately and just couldn't work out what else I needed - it's sooo good to know the things out there that others found so useful - I've got NO idea!!!

Thanks again!!

Kelly xxx

Also meant to add that our Baby Monitor - i think a Phillips one - is invaluable. We still use it everyday and Ella's 19 months. Nice to be able to keep an ear out for bubs rather than having to disrupt sleep by sneaking in all the time.

And Dummies - the large cherry teat ones are great (i just buy the cheap tommy tippee or Happy Baby ones cause you'll go through heaps) cause the cherry teat is a similar shape to the nipple therefore easy to latch onto and keep in. Our midwife in our AN classes said not to bother with those fancy orthedontic shaped ones.

I agree with every one else.
    I love my Isis manual pump and still use it regularly when I work (I work in a police station and it's small enough to fit in my bag and have no questions asked lol), but I do have the avent electric steriliser which was a pressie from DH. I love it, but I'm pretty sure the microwave ones do it quicker.

One thing I have also found indispensable is a small winnie the pooh nightlight from Target. You tie it to the cot/cradle whatever and press his foot when you need light. It switches itself off after 10mins. It's only about $14 and it's one of my m.ost used pieces of baby stuff

re the night light, a lot of monitor's have night lights on them that you can switch on or off as well, as long as they are placed close to the cot they are just enough light to be able to check on bubs (obviously not in the cot though if it has a cord attached!)

One thing I can Not live without is the fisher and price swing, they cost about $200 but its great, I still use it for Charlotte now, and it was wonderful when they are really little, as they can sleep in it.

Amby baby hammock!!! Imran still has his day naps in it and he's just over one.

A good digital camera - you'll want to take so many photos.

A cordless phone - so you don't have to try and get up for the phone in the middle of a breast feed and if bubs goes to sleep on you you can ring DH and ask for a glass of water.

I used a bath with my first but Imran got washed in the sink or in the big bath with just a centimeter or 2 of water or in the shower with me - it was so much easier on my back.

If you're only planning on the occasional pump a manual would be fine. For lots of pumping electric might be easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12