Thread: TMI question

Default TMI question

Hi,

I am 37+2 weeks and for the past day or so have been experiencing little gushes every now and then. Am trying to work out whether it's urine (how embarrassing!) or CM or waters leaking... It often happens a little while after I pee but not always, sometimes just if I'm standing or laying down. It's really watery and I think is a slightly milky white colour. Have tried smelling it like suggested in all the books and it does have a smell although no idea whether it's like 'amonia' or 'sweet'...

TIA

I'm not 100% sure, hopefully someone like Alan will see the post and maybe be able to give you some more advice but if in doubt i'd suggest to contact your MW or hosp and just ask what they think.
    They may just ask you to come in and get checked out.

I'm one of those whose waters broke and it was like the floods had broken the dam wall so am not sure about trickling etc. GL with it all.

I'm not sure what the fluid id but I would suggest checking in with your hospital as they can do a quick test on the fluid and tell you which it is. I know its embarrassing, but I think they are pretty understanding and considerate when talkign to you about these sorts of things.

Ive been having that too! will be interested to see what Alan has to say.

Thanks for your replies.

I went to lunch today with some work friends and they were saying the exactly same thing occured in their pregancies and was just copious amounts of watery CM (lovely lunch topic, I know) so feeling not so worried now. I don't have any of the other pre- labour symptoms apart from the occasional BHs so will just monitor it and give the hospital a call tomorrow if anything happens/ changes

Definately give your hospital a call hon, especially if it has been happening for a few days. I had a slow hind water leak (mine only leaked when I was laying down). Like your friends I'd had heaps of CM for the later weeks of my pregnancy and wondered if that was what it was. After umming and arring for a day or two I finally called the hospital and got told to come in so they could test my pad. I was 100% sure I was wasting their time, but when they did the test it was amniotic fluid.

Not to scare you or anything, but you really don't want to run the risk of having your waters leaking and not know for sure. You're at a high risk of getting an infection when they're no longer in tact and need to monitor yourself very closely if they are leaking. In my case, my OB agreed to give me 4 days to go into labour naturally, put me on AB's to prevent infection, had me go to the hossy each day for monitoring and had me check my temperature every 3 hours to make sure that if I did start getting an infection it was caught early. Also, if you're waters are leaking you definately shouldn't have sex or a bath and make sure you change your pad really often.

So if it was me I would give them a call and just go in to have it checked. That's what they're there for and you'll find that the midwives are really supportive and understanding. Also, I found it reassuring to spend a little bit of time in there before my labour because it let me get more familiar with the place and the people.

Hi Katie

It is most probably urine or even CM. However I would also suggest that you consider going to the hospital for a check if it continues.