Thread: Tonic Water and morning sickness

Default Tonic Water and morning sickness

Hi all,

My wife is pregnant with number 2. During her last pregnancy, she had lots of nausea, and found that tonic water relieved it.

Her nausea has started even earlier this time but since then she has heard that quinine (which is found in tonic water) can cause problems to the developing baby.

I'm a nurse, and the info we have on quinine suggests that this is true, but the only info I have is on full-strength quinine tablets for malaria, as opposed to the little bits you get in tonic water.

Anyone here have any experience with using tonic water to relieve nausea, or have any literature or information regarding it?

Hi Schmickers

love your nickname

I have not heard of it being used. If you dont get any replys in the next few days I will see what I can find out about it for you.
    Unfortunatly I cant do it at the moment I'm on night shift, cotton wool brain. I'm sure that you know what thats like.

Oh yes, I know that pain intimately...

I had a little time before work this morning, so I googled "tonic water" and pregnancy. It turns out that several of the larger baby info sites overseas, including Babycenter.com, recommend drinking tonic water to relieve crampy legs in pregnancy. So obviously there can't be too much quinine in it.

If I have time (I remember having time, once...) I'll do some mroe research of my own, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used it for rlief of nausea, cramps, or otherwise, during pregnancy.

Hi, I had cramps in my legs and was advised by my Ob to drink tonic water - specifically Indian Tonic water - don't really know what the difference is between it and normal tonic water - or if either are good for morning sickness....does wonders for crampy legs though!!

I have about half a glass a day and haven't had any major problems since.

Hope your wife starts feeling better soon - good luck!!