Thread: Toothaches..

Default Toothaches..

Is it usual or normal to get tooth aches during pregnancy? My top and bottom teeth on one side have been aching all night and morning? I have never even had tooth ache before. Is it normal? Is my body lacking in a certain vitimin?

Hi Ally,

I would not say that it is 'normal' to get toothache during pg. Given that you have discomfort on both upper and lower it sounds as though you may be clenching or grinding your teeth. Most people do this when they're asleep, so aren't even aware of it! I am finding that I'm grinding alot more than normal, I don't think it's related to being pg, I think it's because of all the crazy dreams I've been having (which of course is related to being pg!).

Short of that, it could be some gum recession causing the sensitivity. Or it could be actual toothache! It's a bit hard to know at this point, it won't be related to your body lacking any vitamins etc. I would monitor it, and if it starts to get worse, or you think it's going on for too long, go and see your dentist.

BTW I am a dental nurse, just giving my 'opinion'!

Let me know if you need anymore info, love Sez xoxo

I was actually wondering about toothaches and was going to post a thread...I had some dental work done earlier this year but need to have one completed and a couple of others looked at. Is this safe whilst pg?? I mean the needles they use for the pain...??

It certainly is safe to go to the dentist whilst pg. Dentists spend five years at uni and they certainly know what anaesthetic they can and can't give you. It is up to you to inform the dentist that you are pg, and then discuss what options you have. If treatment is needed it's best to do it during the second trimester, though there are some instances where it's better for mum and bub not to prolong treatment to beyond the birth. If the work you need done is not urgent your dentist may advise you to wait unitl after you've had bubs.

All in all, I would make an appt to go and discuss it with your dentist. Good luck Cass!

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't you more prone to gingivites while pg? maybe thats why your teeth are sore Ally. Also Dunno if this would apply to someone who hasn't had any orthodontic work done, But found that when the relaxin starts to kick in & make all your joints etc loose. My teeth would ache also dunno if it was related or not though....

mummymeegs Guest

Fionajill is right... There is such a thing as pregnancy gingivitis. This would cause some sensitivity but not necessarily pain. There would be some bleeding from gums, noticable when brushing. If so, the idea is not to stop brushing.. just brush as normal.

Sometimes if you have decay in an upper tooth the pain can be refferred to the lower, weird but true!! I would get it checked out! Pain usually means something is wrong.

But, as Sez said, pregnancy does not cause toothaches, neither does a lack of vitamins. Whatever it is would have been there prior to your pregnancy! HTH!!

(btw - I am trained as a dental therapist!)

When i was pregnant with Nick my gums became really sensitive, even using toothpaste was painful.
    I just put it down to pg hormones

Thank you ladies....I only had my dental check up about a month ago, and all was fine then, so I am not sure what is happening....perhaps they are just ultra sensitive at the moment....I will try sensodyne toothpaste to see if it helps....Thanks again