Thread: Toxo - how worried should I be?

Default Toxo - how worried should I be?

For some reason it's just been concerning me lately. Sometimes DH empties the tray but more often it's me since I'm home most of the time. I wear long gloves and wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. Also, our youngest cat has quite long fur and sometimes gets a bit "messy" after going to the toilet, so I bath her which involves having to clean up the rear end bit, again, I make sure I wash my hands thoroughly afterwards, often with disinfectant as well as soap. I'm just worried that I perhaps shouldn't have been touching her at all, although that's kind of hard if DH isn't home and she needs cleaning up, yk? We've had cats for years and it's usually been me who's had the most to do with them. Some reassurance would be great ...

I would say thats it fine! Make sure you use gloves when washing the cat as wel though

if you have any cuts on ur fingers hands ect I would simply leave it till DH can do it

It helps if you are not feeding your cat raw meat. My DH will be going away and I have no choice but to look after the tray myself. I have bought some latex gloves and will wash my hands thoroughly with an antibacterial liquid soap and that will just have to do!

Sasha, sounds like you are taking more than adequate precautions. Also if you have had cats for years then you are probably immune to toxo. Most people have been exposed to it at some point and developed the immunity. I take it you didn't have the test to check before you got pg?

No, I didn't even realise there was a test, and it wasn't mentioned by either doctor, which I guess is fair enough considering that it's supposed to be quite rare. I think I'll buy some latex gloves to wash the cat with, good idea. They don't really eat raw meat, only biscuits and occasionally canned food. The only raw stuff I give them is when I'm cutting up chicken for us (so maybe once a week, and then it would be about a half-teaspoon each).

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, it's just for some reason three people have mentioned it to me in about a week and it got me worried!

Could you leave them outside??? (I have no idea I am severely allergic to cats, so avoid them at all costs!)

We can't leave them outside because we're near a busy street and they fight with the neighbours' cats (also they hunt at night if you do that - which not only affects local wildlife but also means they are more likely to catch rats etc, and that increases the risk of toxo!) They go outside during the day, apart from the young one, who is just far too stupid to go outside at all... really, she's a dummy (but very sweet )

Hi Sasha

I've been changing my "the boss's" litter tray the whole way through my pg (she who must be obeyed is an inside only Devon Rex). Just make sure you wash your hands and don't do it if you have cuts etc on your hands.

Kittens can be a pain with their toilet training, can't they?

Must say I thought I'd never be saying this ... I'll be glad when I can clean out the cat litter again!

DP is very anti-cat, but has been cleaning the litter now for 7 months, and he just doesn't take as good care as I do. It doesn't help the cats have their own room to live in.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

As my Ob so eloquently put it, to catch it, you pretty much have to put their poo in your mouth LMAO. I had been around cats all my life and was sure I would have immunity to it (who hasn't played in a sandpit after a cat had been there ewwwwww) and I had no antibodies to it, so had never been exposed. So just make sure hands are washed, no kitty litter and you will be fine
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Exactly Kelly, the infected poo has to get into your mouth. So if you are washing your hands very soon after handing it you are doing fine.

I have worked as a vet nurse for 8 years and before that volunteered with cats in an animal shelter & I have never had toxoplasmosis. I have had the blood test with both pregnancies and even after handling cats who were definately infected with toxoplasmosis I ha+ven'+-t bee-n. (sorry Matilda's getting involved with typing)

My blood test came back positive meaning I was exposed to toxo. I worked at the RSPCA and did vet nursing for a while but haven't had any problems and Amy is fine. Not sure about what it all means though but all is well.

Could you try trimming your kittys rear end fur? This could limit the amount of time that you would need to spend cleaning her rear...?
    Otherwise, as long as you wash your hands thoroughly and keep them away from your mouth until clean then you should be okay. My Dh is currently on tray duty but occasionally gets a bit forgetful so I go in and tidy it up for our cat. I just be extra cautious with it, as well as trying not to do it too often.

Sasha Im in the same boat as you atm. I am worrying about it quite a bit now. We have two inside burmese cats who constantly kick kitty litter around. It only just occured to me a few days ago that I had been walking around the house with a cut on my foot! I have been worried ever since that I could catch it that way.
    The boys dont eat raw meat now, however a year ago I was feeding them raw packaged cat meat.
    Are there any symptoms when you are infected???
    Oh and when Dh and I were TTC the doctor ran some routine blood tests to make sure I was healthy etc and I got a positive blood test for parvo virus!?!?!
    Last edited by reneenay; February 19th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Could you try trimming your kittys rear end fur?
    That's something we were thinking of too, as it obviously would be less upsetting for her if she didn't have this problem. It's just a matter of remembering when we're both home... you can imagine it's a two person job with all those pointy ends a cat has!! I'll try and remember to get DH onto it when he gets home tonight...

Sasha the easiest way to trim puss' fur (I'd think) would be to take her to a puss and pooch salon, where they have the tools and are used to doing it. Less traumatic all round, I'd imagine!