Thread: Travelling w Newborn

Default Travelling w Newborn

Hi all,
    I was wanting some advice about travelling with newborns for a anyone who has done so. I recently m/c at 11.5 weeks (tho they told me the heart had stopped at 7 wks), and I am thinking of trying at the next cycle in Jan when my AF starts again. But we are travelling to Perth from Sydney next Christmas and I if we conceive next cycle the baby will be 7-8 wks old. If I don't conceive that cycle I'll have to wait till May so the bub isn't due in December or Jan. Anyway, I wondered what people thought about whether it's too ambitious to travel with a newborn. We will be going to be with family in Perth so will have some help once there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Rach

How are you travelling? Car, plane?? I took my DD on a plane at 6 weeks and she was perfectly fine, i went from syd to nrth qld. Car would be a little more difficult i think having to pull over for all the feeds but im sure you will be fine. HTH.

Hello, we did a car trip when DD was 5-6 weeks old. It was only a (long) day of travelling but we did another much bigger car trip when she was 6 months old and the same principles applied:

It is much easier to travel if you are breastfeeding, you can stop anywhere anytime to feed that suits (bit harder I imagine to mix up formula on the side of the highway)! Bring your own equipment (we took a portacot and sheets cos the ones the motels supply are sometimes on the dodgy side) and the other big tip is allow a lot more travelling time. If you need to stop to feed or change or settle, it takes a lot longer sometimes than the usual 15-30 mins that you allocate for a rest stop!

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your trip and all the best with your TTC journey!
    :-)

I found travelling with Mackenzie when she was younger easier than now she is 2.5 years old. The only down side is the amount of stuff you need to take with you. Mackenzie was bottle feed so there was the stiriliser (which you could just boil in a pot but I always found it easier to just take a stiriliser to mums but when I travelled on a plane with limited space a pot was a better option). Unless a family member has a portacot take your own - as Marydean said you can get some dodgy ones. I found travelling by plane fine as as when she was younger she would sleep or just sit on my lap. Now it is a continuous circus to try and get her to sit still. About 2.5 hours pulls us up in a car but we do try and travel at her nap times. If travelling by plane try to travel when the baby would normally sleep and then feed on take off an landing as the sucking will help their ears. I always carried 2 small bottles in my bag for that! There is so much to think of but you would be suprised how you can improvise and how your motherly instict kicks in. Good luck on the TTC journey.

We are returning to Bali for about 3wks, but have to sneak it in between this baby being born (due late July) & Indah turning 2 (20th Sept. So Bubs will be about 4ish wks when heading over & 7ish when coming back....
    I have travelled O/S plenty of times alone with DD#1 from 9wks of age & it was really easy..

Good Luck although planning around those dates as such... just so you know you cant always plan it to fit in, babies come when they want too... So in our case if bubs is late we may just have to go after Indah is 2 & therefore pay for her airfare!!! YUCKO!

Thanks very much everyone for all your replies ;-) We would be flying to Perth. I now feel more comfortable not necessarily waiting till May knowing that it's ok to fly with a new bubs. But, I know you can't control everything so will ultimately have to take it as it comes

We flew to Perth with our (then) 10 week old baby in November...we drove Wagga to Canberra then flew direct to Perth. I must admit it was the worst thing we could have done... It was horrible!! Riley was great on the plane but once we were in Perth his times were all stuffed up and because we were sharing a house with 9 adults and were out and about so much all our feeds etc were mucked up. Riley has very bad reflux though and at the time wasn't on medication so he was screaming most of the day from 7 am to 10 pm (that's over now that he's on medication though!).

Anyway I know some people have good experiences but mine was terrible...it took about 3 weeks to get back into some sort of a routine back home too and Riley wouldn't go to sleep till about 2 or 3 am each night for a while... Sorry for the horror story but I said that I would make sure others know it's not always great (because I was told it would be so easy).

Still, having a bub is well worth the hassles and pain so don't let my horror story stop you trying!!

We took Jenna to NZ when she was about 8w old, and it was pretty easy. Well alot easier than the subsequent trips overseas!! Newborn babies, specially breastfed ones have relatively easy needs to cater for. Sleep, boobie, nappy, and thats about it!!
    Good luck TTC

We took Amber on her first 6 hour car trip at 5 weeks old - she was an angel. Slept the whole way.

I took her on her first flight at 8 weeks old, once again absolute angel - slept the whole way.

She then had another 6 hour drive at 5 months and she was an angel for the first half of the trip and a horror for the second half, just had enough of sitting in the car seat.

I bought her new rattles before each trip so she had something new to look at, sat in the back with her for a bit and read her stories and kept her hydrated and she was happy.

If you're flying and the baby is only a teeny tiny newborn it will probably be fairly easy. It gets harder after 3 months or so when they are awake more and more sensitive to their surroundings. Newborns are fairly transportable and generally will sleep anywhere

ttcno2 Guest

it depends entirely on the newborn...as you can see from replies..some are easy, some are horrific...either way, you'll survive!