Thread: Tubes tied after delivery

shuett Guest

Default Tubes tied after delivery

Hi Everyone

I have been a member for a while and reading lots of posts so I feel I know everyone here already! My name is Sandy, I'm 23 weeks pregnant with no 4 and I am 35 years old.

Iv'e decided that four children are definately enough and will be looking at having my tubes tied when my bubs in born. I have heard that you can arrange for this to be done in hospital just after delivery - and infact its the best time because everything is stretched and easy to get to etc.

Does anyone know if this is correct or had it done before? I'm in Tasmania and its ages until my next Midwives appointment to ask.

Best wishes, Sandy

Hi Sandy, I think that if you're having a C/S they can do it at the same time but there is a higher risk of the procedure failing (1:200 v 1:300). I'm not sure if they would do one at the same time as a vaginal delivery because it would make your recovery more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar
    I'm not sure if they would do one at the same time as a vaginal delivery because it would make your recovery more difficult.
    I would have thought this too, as it's major abdominal surgery. Why not let you parter have the chop instead? It's a much shorter recovery time for him.

It is major surgery and will only be done if you need a csec.
    Otherwise you need to be booked in for another time. ( you really dont want it when looking after 4 kids, if csec not needed)

Dr 's will encouraged DH's to have the snip, as is a VERY minor, non invasive short procedure, and tubal ligation is a BIG procedure.

My ob won't do tubal ligations, even after a c/s. Not sure if it's a practical/medical thing or a personal pref on his behalf, but might be worth checking that the hospital or ob does it even if you are having a c/s.