Thread: Two mouthfuls of raw chicken

Unhappy Two mouthfuls of raw chicken

On Saturday night DH and I went out for dinner to a lovely restaurant that we often go to. They have a new chef but I wasn't worried as I saw his resume (I work for the company) and he has a good reputation.

Anyway, I ordered the chicken and after it arrived I ate maybe two mouthfuls before DH sdtarted poking around at it. The bottom was cooked but the top was totaly raw It was literaly still pink and jelly-like. We sent it back and when it came back out again I still wasn't convinced but by that point I was feeling pretty queasy anyway so I didn't want anymore.

I know listeria can take a while to show but would I be feeling a little bit sick yet? It's been two days and I feel fine. I only had two mouthfuls but is that enough?

Also it really makes me angry that he wasn't more cautious. I know he would never intentionaly send out a plate of uncooked food but do chefs really think about the consequences of pregnant women eating their food? They could be the cause of someone losing their baby.

I half wanted to go and make myself throw up afterwards but now i'm just worried

Oh Rachel - I can imagine you must feel a bit worried. The chances of getting listeria are very very small. Still - why not talk to your care provider to settle your worries.

Rachel i would call the hospital and see what they say. I don't think they can do anything but at least they will know about it and have it on your file.

I would have felt sick at the time also and i hope you didn't have to pay for your meal.

Luckily we had a $150 gift certificate as my leaving present so we werent paying anyway, but still. I'm going to call the hospital and hopefully they will sasy not to worry.

Thanks girls

Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know, but hopefully the hospital will put your mind at ease.

Let us know what they say.

Ok, I just called the hospital and spoke to a midwife who said that if I am feeling ok then I should be fine. She said there is nothing they can do as i've already eaten it but to really look out for symptoms ie diohrrea (sp?) and vomiting and if I get any of that then I should call the hospital straight away.

That does make me feel better! Still cranky though and i'm wondering if I should tell the Food and Beverage Manager, although there is nothing he can do about it now and I know it wasn't intentional.

I think i'll just steer clear of chicken for the next 3'ish weeks!

oh Rachel, i know that situation would have made me furious and stressed to the max.
    You have done all you can by calling the hospital and stuff.
    I ate some jarred pesto a few weeks ago that was use by the 11/7/ 05!!!!! I was so cranky at myself for not checking the useby date. MIL gave it to us when she went on her diet and i was cranky at her too...
    Everything seems fine.
    I guess all you can do is be on the lookout and keep eating healthy.
    Poor lovey. Thinking of you
    Gill
    xoox