Thread: u/s and size of baby?

Default u/s and size of baby?

Ok so here is my story

I had my first scan when to my dates i was 8 weeks exactly and it turned out i was correct. So my EDD was the 22nd of May

My nucal fold test was done when i thought i was 12 weeks and 1 day and it turned out that she measured me being 3 days more so 12weeks and 4 days which made me due on the 19th of May.

I went for my 18-20 weeks scan today and he checked measurements first. I should have been either 18 weeks and 4 days or 18weeks and 1 day. When he measured the baby he said i was between 17weeks4days and 17weeks 3days.

So i am worried now that the baby is not growing properly because there is nearly a week difference. Should i worry or has other people had the same thing happen and everything worked out fine. Sorry if this is over the top its just worrying me a little.

Thanks for your help NIkki

Bubs have growth spurts inside and outside the womb - maybe yours was just about due for one when the last u/s was taken.

The first 12w most healthy babies will grow at teh same rate (therefore size measurements at this stage are fairly accurate regarding due dates) but after that the growth rates vary and they have spurts every now and then.

The measurements are based on all babies growing at the same rate, and relies on them growing at that rate consistently throughout the pregnancy. That's why it should be used as just a guide as to A) when the baby is due and B) how big it will be when it's born.

It sounds like everything is going swimmingly in there :P So please try not to worry.

Nothing to stress about!

Ultrasound measurements are always +/- seven days. They won't even consider moving your EDD unless your consistently getting measurements that are more than 7 days out either way over a couple of scans.

Because all babies grow at slightly different rates it is not, and will never be an exact science. As jgal said the first 12 weeks they grow at pretty much the same rate (which is why early pregnancy scans are the most reliable for dating). But as the pregnancy progresses genetic factors also begin to come into play - eg. baby might be measuring smaller because one or both parents are smaller etc so the measurements begin to get less reliable until by the time you're full term you might as well flip a coin as rely on an ultrasound weight estimate. The skill of the technician also becomes more of a factor as well. This is partly the reason that so many mothers are given estimates of full term weight that are notoriously inaccurate (I was at a birth on the weekend where the mum had been told a week ago that she was having an 8lb baby - baby came out at over 9 pounds ).

It sounds like everything is fine, don't worry.

They induced me with my last child because they said she was way to small & they wanted her out to deal with any problems she might have.The way they were talking ,they were making it out that she was tiny & way undersize but when she came out she was nearly 7 pounds & didn't have a problem in the world
    So yeah try not to worry,they aren't always 100% accurate.

Sooooooo dont stress about the size of bubs with in a week or so difference is VERY normal. Just look at the size of all of us, some tall, some short, so of course babies are the same. They only go on an average for the size of bubs... They grow very differently. You should just go by your very first u/s for your due date, remembering that only very few are born that day. Also if your caregiver was worried, or the sonographer, they would tell you... BUT saying that for your own piece of mind, bring it up at your next appt...

HTH

there was some info on this in an atrticle that anlan posted this morning relating to ultrasounds

Ok thanks heaps for the reasurrance makes me feel a bit better but i will ask at my next u/s next friday.
    Nikki

Dont worry hun all is normal. Prior to about 10 weeks the US can be out by 1 week either way. After his it can be out by 10 - 14 days

Thanks alan i was hoping that you would see my thread and respond THanks again.

Nikki