Thread: Ultrasound picture coception date questions

Default Ultrasound picture conception date questions

Hello I hope I'm posting this in the right section and I hope someone might be able to help me.

I'll give you a little background first. My girlfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for a while. We met for a holiday a few weeks ago. We spoke today on the phone and she informed me we are pregnant. I took the news well but I was a little surprised inside as I thought I had been pretty careful when we were together.

She sent me a picture of the ultrasound. I have never looked at one so I sent it to my mom and asked her if she could fill me in on what I'm looking at. She asked how far along my gf said she was and I told her and asked if I was sure as from the ultrasound she looked farther along.

After I spoke with my mom I started looking online for ultrasounds by week and sure enough all the photos I found looked like she was farther along than she had told me.

I'm not going to say what week she said she is in I would just like to see what you all think from the picture and after I get some feedback I'll post the rest of the details.

Thanks for your input in advance!
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/...a299e75f_b.jpg
    Last edited by confusedguy; August 17th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

hi confused guy - welcome to BB.

You're not allowed to post pics in your thread, just link them to it is fine though.

However, on the side of the actual scan, it should have something about the "GA" being Gestational Age - so that should tell you there how many weeks she is approximately in the pic.

I'm sorry but I can't really tell much from your pic (I'm not very experienced at this lol!)

Just to let you know, I had my first ultrasound at about 6 weeks and you couldn't really see much. It was basically a fetal pole and a yolk sack. I then had my next one at just over 8 weeks and it looked a little more like a baby but it was still kinda a blob with arm buds. It was really at my 12 weeks scan that I could definitely tell it was a baby.

Welcome mate

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    hi confused guy - welcome to BB.

You're not allowed to post pics in your thread, just link them to it is fine though.

However, on the side of the actual scan, it should have something about the "GA" being Gestational Age - so that should tell you there how many weeks she is approximately in the pic.
    :yeahthat: The scan image looks pretty early on, if you have a few you shold be able to see the different GA and dates the scans were done as well.
    And just so that you know Pregnancy actually starts from the first day of her last period, so based on a typical 28 day cycle, you would have had to conceive somewhere about day 14 day (you can have sex leading up to that date) of the cycle (roughly) which is techincally 2 weeks pregnant so keep that in mind when you are working out dates as well. so I guess count the weeks from when you met up on holiday and add on two weeks and that would give you an approximate of how many weeks she "should be"
    HTH's

Thx for the fast input I fixed the picture to just a link.

This is the actual picture she sent me I'm going to try and get her to scan it for me or get a digital copy.

Hi and welcome to BB..

At a guess I would think it would be of no less than 6-7 weeks gestation. Before 6 weeks it is pretty hard to see anything and you can definately see a "blob" so that would be my guess.

All the best, I hope things work out for you.

Welcome to BB. I think what is more serious is that you are doubting your partners honesty... It's something that is important to sort out I think.

The writing on the top left hand corner of the u/s which I can't read should tell you the measurements. Having said that the u/s looks like it is a very early pregnancy. I hope that helps.

Ok the whole last period date plus 2 weeks math is got me more confused maybe you can help me out.

She told me on monday the Dr said she is "about" 3 weeks along, sunday night she told me her period was 5 days late. The earliest we could have concieved would have been on the 26th of last Month which happens to be exactly 3 weeks from yesterday...

She means 5 weeks gestation then, roughly speaking. You would see very little on an u/s at this point - a sac maybe. As far as I can tell that's all there is on that pic.

Well that makes sense. If her period is 5 days late she would be "about" 5 weeks pregnant (medically speaking) though many first time Mums would think they were only 3 weeks pregnant. As literally she is but because pregnancies are dated from the 1st day of the last period this makes her medically speaking 5 weeks.