Thread: UTI and antibiotics?

Default UTI and antibiotics?

I was just diagnosed with a bladder infection taken from a urin sample, although I have no symptoms. My OB has given me a prescription for MACRODANTIN (an antibiotic) but I was just reading the side effects and warnings which they give you at the chemist, firstly it says you must not take it if "your pregnant and close to birth" it also warns precaution if you 1. Have diabetes (I have GD) 2. Have anaemia (which I have) PLUS the side effects listed are really quiet worrying!
    Nausea and vomiting
    diarrhoea
    headache and dizziness
    drowsiness and altered mood
    feeling week
    swelling of the face, lips and throat
    numbness and tingling
    confussion
    fever chills
    skin rash

Has anyone else taken MACRODANTIN while pregnant??
    Am I being over paranoid? The chemist said it was ranked A or B?? meaning safe for pregnancy but this list really freaks me out
    Is there something less invasive I can take??
    Last edited by joralyd; December 4th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Hey Tiff

get some cranberry juice...this actually prevents bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall...no bacteria no more infection...and great as just a preventative method

xx yogababy

Also drink lots of water. This will help to flush out the bugs

I've also got GD not sure if I can drink the cranberry juice because of the sugar and I have to test my blood 4 times a day so I can't sneak it in but I realy would prefer to try other less dramatic methods like the juice, I just feel like the risks of taking the Macrodantin are pretty high. I know UTI's during pgcy should really be dealt with asap but I'm a little freaked by the side effects and risks esspecially when I only have 6 weeks left. I see my ob tomorow and I'll discuss my concerns but I don't know too many dr's that advocate "no drug" remidies iykwim?

maybe I can have 1/4 of a cup of cranberry juice a couple of times a day and it might not push up my sugar levels, this coupled with water will it be enough?

As someone said water water and more water. I have had more than my fair share of UTI's and they are horrible. You are lucky if it was picked up in urine sample and you have no symptoms. I would look into whether or not "Ural" or something similar is safe to take when pregnant. I found this when i googled but it doesnt say anything about been pregnant (sorry mods if i am not allowed to post this. Please remove if not appropriate)

"Ural is a pleasantly flavoured effervescent drink which provides relief from painful burning symptoms of urinary Tract Infections. Ural helps to neutralize the acid in the urinary tract while assisting in eliminating organisms that cause infection.
    Directions
    Adult Dose: Dissolve contents of 1-2 sachets in a glass of cold water. May be taken 4 times daily for 5 days or as directed by the physician.
    Ingredients
    Each sachet contains:
    sodium bicarbonate 1.76g
    tartaric acid 890mg
    citric acid anhydrous 720mg
    sodium citrate anhydrous 630mg.
    Also contains saccharin.
    This preperation contains 644mg of sodium per sachet which should be taken into account by those on a low sodium diet.
    Warnings
    If symptoms persist for more than 2 days of using ural, please see your health care professional."

you can get reduced sugar cranberry juice...and dilute it with water

Ural will only reduce the burning sensation As you do not have any symptoms I would suggest that you do not take Ural

Alan would know best so i wouldnt take the Ural...it was just a thought. Did you take your anti biotics? Are you feeling ok?

Thanks for your replies guys! I had appt today with ob and told of my concerns he showd me a list of the antibiotics available to pg women and said they all have a long list of "possible" side effects, he chose the MACRODANTIN because it's affective with the eccoli strain of bacteria I have blah!! thought you only got that from eating food!!!!??? He also said I need to take them because it could go to my kidney's and cause alot more problems. So I'm reluctantly taking them starting tonight for 5 days, I'll let you know how it goes. Apparently the bacteria can be stuborn to get rid of? and some pg women are on them through the whole pregnancy

Nat I think I'll get some low sugar cranberry juice aswell just to make sure it stays away, thank you