Thread: UTI - Urinary Tract Infection

allyfield Guest

Default UTI - Urinary Tract Infection

Has anyone else suffered from this while being pregnant.

I currently have it at the moment and it is very uncomfortable.

My doctor has prescribed Amoxycillin to treat this. Is it safe to take antibotics while being pregnant. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant.

I was also told i can not use Ural?

Any suggestions would help.

Ally

Hi Ally,

i have had several bouts of UTI this pg and i'm feeling it for you yep Amoxycillin was prescribed to me also all up i have had 3 doses i apparently have another case at the moment i was taken to hospital with contractions the other night and they seem to think that the UTI is why i was having contractions they tell me that it can cause preterm labour if left untreated ( correct me if i'm wrong someone ) so now that you have had one make sure that at each prenatal visit you take a urine sample with you to be tested :-k even if the doc hasn't asked for one also drink plenty of water and cranberry juice is supposed to be really good also ( i tried this but it just made me thirstier - sp ) and don't be surprized if you end up with thrush from the antibiotics i didn't but i have read that it is rather common specially in Pg hope it clears up for you real soon

Ally

I`m glad you caught your UTI early, with my first pregnancy I ended up being hospitalised at 24 weeks due to my UTI quickly developing into Phyelonphitis (I had 40 degree temps for 3 days plus vomiting due to the infection), I then developed another UTI shortly after and was then put onto long term antibiotics for the remainer of my pregnancy, please mention it to Dr McGrath when you visit as he`ll need to keep a close eye on you in case it does devop into phyelonphitis like it did with me and depending on how many attacks you have he`ll assess you.

I`m really worried this pregnancy about UTI`s, Dr McGrath is aware of my concerns but all we can do is wait and see.

Do you take Cranberry tablets? They are safe to take during pregnancy, I have 1 a day, I find Nutralife the best brand to buy.

Take Care

Dee

Kirsty77 Guest

I was prescribed amoxycillan as well. Drink lots of water and go to the toilet reguarly, don't try to ever hold it 8-[

Ally - How are you feeling today?

Emma - I can`t get over they told you sister to wait a bit, OMG UTI`s do not clear up on there own, she must have been in agony.

As Emma has mentioned go to the toliet 10 minutes after having sex, I have been told to have a big glass of water then go to the toilet again - at night this isn`t feasible but morning or during the day it works out.

Yes drink lots of water especially after having sex, the more you can flush out the bacteria the better. After having so many UTI`s always due to sex I now make sure I drink lots afterwards.

Hope your feeling better Ally, antibiotics usually work quickly on UTI`s.

allyfield Guest

Hi Dee,

I am feeling alot better today thanks for asking. The antibotics must be starting to work. Wasn't feeling to well last night, went to the rodeo and I think I shouldn't have worn my jeans because when I got home I was in agony. I have been drinking heaps of water and might start drinking some cranberry juice. Dr McGrath knows I have the infection. The doctor I went to wasn't quite sure what to prescribe me as I am allergic to Keflex so she rang and asked Dr McGrath.

I am looking forward to my 1st appointment with Dr McGrath next week.

Thanks again.

Ally.