Thread: Vicks Inhaler Stick

hopefullmum2b Guest

Question Vicks Inhaler Stick

Hi all,

Does anyone know if its ok to use vicks to inhale to clear a blocked nose. i'm 6 weeks pregnant and have come down with a head cold, normally I would go straight for the cold and flu tablets and the nasal sprays/inhalers but don't want to harm bubs.

Hi, I used Vicks on my skin when I had a horrible cold in the first trimester - if you are really concerned ask your pharmacist to look it up on eMims and print the info out for you.

The other thing I found useful was Fess spray, which is a nasal spray made of saline (salty water). It helps a lot if you're really stuffy or having sinus pain. I also used panadol as I was afraid of getting a really high temp and 'cooking' the baby!

i wanna know about vicks products too!!! i have the worst flue and am just hanging for vicks sounds funny but i really need it!!!

I would also recommend the Fess nasal spray as I found it excellent in clearing my congested nose and its also safe in pregnancy.

Vicks is ok to use in pregnancy so start snorting girls LOL

I had a mini heart attack when I saw this thread - I didn't even think to ask whether using the Vicks inhalant stick would be okay! And I had a horrible sinus infection last week so the Vicks came in very handy (along with pg safe antibiotics). Thanks Alan! I shall snort with impunity next time too.

I wondered that too because I snore like a trooper since I've been pregnant and often wake up all stuffed up!

Shazzzlee Guest

Oh Thank Goodness!!! I have been snorting away as it's been the only life saver for me... I assumed it was safe but now that I know it is im over the moon.

Thanks Alan

Just be careful cos some women have very sensitive noses with pregnancy. I tried one a few days ago & my nose burnt for about 25 minutes afterwards - OUCH!!

I have to agree with you there, Sarah! I tried the Fess eucalyptus saline spray first and it really stung.
    The plain salt water one is much better. I'm sure the eucalyptus one would be okay though if my sinuses weren't so sore and raw to start with. There are a few different saline sprays, the generic one is great.

I'm confused. Someone told me anything with eucalyptus in it is not safe in pregnancy. I thought Vicks had this in it and it sounds like Fess does too. I wanted to use Crampeez gel if I get leg cramps and was told to avoid it cos of the eucalyptus as it's on the no go list during pregnancy. If I remember I'll ask my OB next week.

I also remember reading somewhere that the vics rub has something in it that can cause m/c. So I don't use it but I have been told the sniff vics is ok which I have used. Also on't do it laying down as this really can hurt the sensative noses. I did it once and boy it hurt for 30min plus, pain went into my eyes too.

Shazzzlee Guest

Thanks Girls,

I have tried the Fess the non eucalyptus one, but it hasn't worked as well as the inhaler - i used to suffer really badly with sinus infections when i was younger, so I guess my nose has become less sensitive LOL... Definitely agree with the don't lie down part - that does hurt.

Thank goodness I found this thread. I will be going out and buying some stuff as I have just been "dealing with it" and my head has been feeling like its going to explode

The Fess contraindictions for the eucalyptus variety specifically say that it may be used in pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Children under 10 should use aroma free Fess or Fess little noses which contains no eucalyptus. The pharmacist was also aware that I was pregnant and recommended the saline sprays. She said that the eucalyptus one might be nicer - but obviously not for raw nasal passages. HTH.

Naenae, I know how you're feeling! That was me up until Thursday. Hope you get some relief.