Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing babies clothes

Question Washing babies clothes

Due to my recent high blood pressure DH and I thoguht it might be a good time to prepare for a possible early arrival. What im not to sure on (because i have been told and read so many different things) is, what do you actually wash all babies clothes, linen and towels in?

Some say your ordinary washing powder ( i use Surf, Cold Power and Spree) and then Cuddly fabric softener.

Others say to use Lux or ammolin.

So do i use powder? Liquid? Softener?

Whats the best?

Does babies clothes need to be washed separately to DH and my clothes??

Hope some one has some suggestions

kim, I use Lux Flakes with some softener with bubs clothes. I always do hers separately to ours.

With my first, I always washed the baby clothes on their own. You go through enough to make up a load anyway. I didn't use any fancy powders etc But I have always stuck to the same one.
    Second baby I washed baby clothes with Evan clothes.
    Third time round I am sure it will all get chucked in with what ever is going in!

Mind you I sort the clothes pretty well anyway. So usually kids clothes in darks & lights. Mine & DH clothes in darks & lights, fleecy stuff on its own, jeans for some reason I do with towels. Then sheets etc.

I think that the Lux flakes or the ammolin is good for bubs with sentitive skin. But I have never used them.

We wash all of Zander's clothes with ours & use Amolin liquid. Before we discovered Amolin, we jus washed his clothes in the same stuff as we used - I have super sensitive skin so figured what was ok for my skin would be ok for a baby's skin.

When I did Zander's first wash before he arrived I put al of the clothes in together, in a seperate load purely because there were so many! But once he started wearing them they went in with ours.

With Matilda I washed all her clothes before she was born in Lux flakes & then after a month or so I started doing 2-3 certain wondersuits with our washing to see if she would react & when she had no reactions I started chucking everything in the one sort. With this one, I've washed all newborn clothes in lux for the first time but everything else in normal & will probably just wait & see.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I use Lux Flakes, but only coz Charlie is a little sensitive. I found that if I used half strength normal washing liquid (I use Cold Power) he was fine, but it was not so good on our clothes! So since I do his seperately anyway, I keep using the Lux Flakes. Plus they smell so good!

I always wash the baby's clothes separately with either purity or amolin liquid and purity fabric softener. I do this for a few months, then it will end up getting chucked in with everything else. Chances are bub will have no reactions to normal washing powder, but to begin with it's good to use the senstive stuff just in case.

I used to use Lux just because I love the smell but you cant use it in a front loader! :-( Can you use Amolin in a front loader?

I mean when I had a top loader I used Lux.. has ayone used it in a front loader out of curiousity?

You can use amolin in a front loader, you just use less. I think it tells you on the container how much to use.

We just use half a scoop of powder with all Jennas clothes, and we do a double rinse. She's only ever had a skin rash once, and that was when we had used Omo front loader for a little while, so we are back to the cheaper stuff again!
    That first load of baby clothes on the line nearly melts your heart - sooooo cute!!!
    Word of warning - take any darks out and wash them seperately the first couple of times.

We are only just starting to put Jenna's stuff in wiht ours now.

I'm like Sara - sensitive skin, if I don't react I figure she's OK. She's never reacted either, but I always use a big load rinse and do hers separately (only so all the little bits don't get lost though LOL). I love the softener smell so I always use that.

I always have used the same powder/liquid that i use with our clothes. The first wash i always do seperately but after that bubs clothes go in with ours.
    Oh and i always use softner, the cuddly sunshine (yellow)one is nice!!

We use Softly on Abby's things, the smell is sooo great!!

I do about 1 load of her clothes and 1 load of her towles/cloth nappies per week.

If i need something clean quick, I will chuck it in with our stuff.
    Last edited by lovemybubs; October 18th, 2006 at 09:09 AM.

I have always used Lux flakes and Lavender Cuddly on my babies clothes. I love the smell when you open up their wardrobe full of freshly washed new bubby stuff. Yum. I can still remember that smell.

Lux is a bit of a PITA in that you have to melt the flakes before washing with them but other than that no problems at all. I also wash all of my baby stuff on it's own. As Tehya grew I discovered and started to use the Amolin which also smells pretty nice. Her clothes are now washed with all of our's and have been for quite some time now.

I do 2-3 loads of Indah's stuff a week, but she is Full Time in Cloth nappies & she has a huge bath sheet towel for after her baths/showers & I change her cot sheets every few days too...
    I will also do our bed linens with her stuff, if it's all light coloured stuff of Indah's but not quite a full load I throw our whites in too, I use Amolin in a front loader with all of her stuff...

we soaked all bubs clothes seperatly prior to his birth to see if they would run the colors etc

then we washed them in purity liquid and purity softener, which I am still doing and will do till he is a year old, his nappies are soaked in milton then washed in purity as well

we started using lux or grated velvet soap ( when we were feeling energetic) with a couple of drops of eucaliptus but it turns out my sensitive little man is allergic to soap !! poor lil guy i started buying this super concentrated organic stuff from the health food shop that smelled like lavender this was expensive but like i said really concentrated i also put a teeny bit of vinegar in the rinse water of his nappise ( no the clothes didnt smell like vinegar) it just neutralises the chemicals if i used adult washing liquid and mad sure i rinsed them again afterwards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast