Thread: We can feel & see bubs heartbeat....??

Default We can feel & see bubs heartbeat....??

Just thought I'd post in here as I'm a bit confused!

For ages DP & I have been able to see my belly move (when we concentrate hard enough anyway!) and feel the same movement as well. We didn't thnk that it was the heart beat because we didn't that was possible and just assumed that bubs must have the hiccups or something. Now on the weekend we managed to get our doppler to work (the cheap one from K-Mart) and noticed that the heartbeats were in time with the movements. Furthermore we can both still feel the heartbeat and DP can hear them just by putting his head on my belly!! I didn't think this was possible... is it normal??

I have the tightest belly ever and I've put on 6 kgs since I fell pregnant all in my belly. (I'm 5"7 and I weighed 55 kgs when I fell pregnant). I was measuring on the small side (about 3 cms short of what I should be) at my last appt.

Just curious as to whether any one else has experienced this at all??

Are you sure it's not just your own heart beat? Does the doppler you have tell you the heart rate as you should be able to tell from that? I can feel my own heart beat quite strongly around my belly area.

Your baby's heart is so small I doubt it would make your whole belly move?? I could be wrong though.

This is exactly what I was thinking. We're goin to try again tonight and see what happens - just wanted to see what people thought... if I can figure out a few alternatives then I should be able to figure it out. I don't think it is hiccups but its quite possibly my own heart beat LOL. That or I just really don't know how to use a doppler...

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13
    That or I just really don't know how to use a doppler...
    Last time I went for my OB appointment he put a doppler on me and said "There's your baby's heartbeat" I listened for a bit and said "No, I think that's me!" cause I could feel it myself and it was the same. He moved it around a bit more and then we could hear the baby which sounded a lot faster. I think around 150 bpm is about right for a baby? So anyone can get it wrong!!

I would say its more than likely hiccups or second to that your heartbeat/bloodflow. I find you can see my skin rising in certain places depending on the bloodflow because it is so strong.

But having said that I'm no Dr LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Bubs heartbeat should be alot faster than an adult heartbeat - it sounds a bit like a galloping horse.
    If you google it you might be able to find some recordings of baby heartbeats so you know what you are listening for.

i think it could just be your heart beat also. i have noticed that i can see my belly moving up and down slightly in time with my heart beat and that was middle of first trimester. from my understanding of things babys heartbeat wouldnt be able to penetrate all the fleshy bits between it and the outside of your belly. btw, i got one of the kmart heart beat machines too, much to realise i wont be able to use it for another 4-5 weeks!!!

I think it might be my heart beat as well hehehe - I feel like a bit of **** now LOL.

It still amazes me that my heart beat is making my stomach move...

Lea, dont feel like a d*ck....

On the day I was in labour my Mum was feeling my contractions on my stomach, all the muscles tightening etc...
    later in the day as the contractions got stronger you could actually see babies rib cage & the full skeleton of her through my tummy.
    I am short too & so babies dont have much room to spread out, but it was amazing I stood infront of the mirror & with each tightening/contraction could easily outline the babies skeleton, it was awesome!

DaisyJane Guest

Lea,

You know how when you're trying to feel your own pulse you can check either at your wrists, or at your neck? Well there is another spot in your own stomach that it's easy to see your own pulse, especially after exercise. My bet is that this is what you are seeing.

Daisyjane

Lea, my stomach did exactly the same thing when I was pregnant. I would lay flat on my back and watch my tummy and it would "jump". It looked like bub was kicking, but it was actually a pulse in my stomach!