Thread: Weight gain concern

Ready Guest

Default Weight gain concern

I am only 16 weeks and have already gained 7 kilos. Mostly around the tummy area but in general, a bit everywhere too. Pre pregnancy I was 54 kilos. Should I be concerned? I have looked in alot of books and on the internet and this seems alot more than what they say is normal. I was eating alot more during the first trimester but that has settled. I have kept a record and I gained 1 kilo in the first 2 months, 3 kilos the next and 3 kilos this month. Im worried about my rapid weight gain, should l I be? If anyone could shed any light, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Ready,
    I agree with Emma... have a talk to your midwife/dr/ob at your next visit.
    Basically, I think it would be a concern if the rapid weight gain continued... some people lose weight in their 1st trimester and regain it all in the 2nd and 3rd. In the end, most people catch up anyway.
    I lost 8kgs in my 1st trimester, but I am slowly gaining it back now... but, I did have it there to lose in the first place, so as Emma said, because you were on the smaller side anyway, you most likely will gain more weight.

Ready, I'm with the others. I was underweight to start with in both pgs and put on more than the "books" say. The ob wasn't at all concerned and after DS I lost the weight very easily with bfing. I am sure the same will happen this time around. I would talk to your ob/mw but if you are eating well you should be fine. The books only ever give you a general guide, it is a very individual thing.

Melanie.

Ready Guest

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. There's wasn't much of me before I got preganant, I was known to be petite and underweight I suppose. I thought that could be the case, that I would put on more than what the books say. Makes sense really, we need stores to care of the growing baby. So maybe my body is storing more fat now for that reason. But when I look at the scales, I can't believe I weigh that much, it's alot extra on my frame and I'm not even half way yet?! It has played on my mind a bit - what if I can't drop it afterwards or what if people think I am not loooking after myself?? I will talk to my ob, but my next appointment isn't for another 4 weeks. Would you make an earlier appointment?

Hi,

You sound like me.

Every time i go to clinic i have put on about 700gm in a week or a f/n (it varies). So i have been putting on about 3kg a month or so.

I have never gained weight like this during pregnancy.

My OB loves it, she thinks its really good that im putting on such healthy weight, but i am not a big person to begin with. She said if i was a big person she might be a bit concerned. You said you are not a big person either so i wouldnt be overly worried.

3kg in a month is good i think, its if you put on 3kg in a week or f/n then thats a concern. Last f/n i put on 3.2kg in 2 wks but i have a big problem with swelling and fluid at the moment.

If you are concerned then mention it to your m/w or OB and ask thier opinion, im not sure i would go earlier about your weight, just watch it and if you have a gain like i mentioned above then i would go see them. But of course if you are overly worried then go early. Could you just ring them to ask maybe? To put your mind at ease?

I also wouldnt look at it as being "fat" that you are putting on, its probably not even going on your body. Its an increase in blood volume and fluids. Your boobs gain weight. Your baby gains weight.
    Last edited by kristi14; September 7th, 2006 at 12:04 PM.

It sounds completely normal & healthy to me... I really would try not to worry too much, as long as you are eating healthily, then its probably just your body wanting to hold onto a some 'reserves' JIC.

I was quite underweight before falling pg with Aidyn, and managed to put on 12kg in the first trimester alone... so hopefully that makes you feel a bit better!

Ready, see your ob earlier if it will ease your mind, but there is no need. Your weight gain so far sounds find to me, especially if you were small to start wtih and it will likely slow in the last trimester too. I was the same as you, every time I stood on the scales I was worried the gain was too much. But like I said the ob assured me it was fine. DS was very healthy and I did lose the weight really easily and quickly afterwards without trying (just bfing!!). I think you can relax!!

Melanie

I guess it can't hurt to talk to your doctor or midwife but as everyone says...everyone is different and the 'averages' are just that.

I'm almost 40 weeks and I have put on 21 kgs (YIKES!!!) over the whole pregnancy, starting at 65 kgs (167 cms tall). Everyone says it's all baby but I know I have fluid too because my feet, legs, hands & arms are swollen...and I'm sure there's a bit of fat there somewhere too.

As for my weight gain, by 14 weeks I'd put on 2.5 kgs, by 22 weeks I had put on 8 kgs, by week 30 I'd put on 13.5 kgs and by week 36 I'd put on 18 kgs... My stomach is MASSIVE but hopefully I'll manage to loose my weight quickly and easily enough.

I wouldn't stress over it. I don't think those ranges of what is supposed to be "normal" is a large enough range, i know so many woman who go over or under. It can depend on a lot of factors some woman retain fluid. Its hard to say. My midwives and Ob don't even bother weighing woman anymore because so many woman stress about the weight they have or haven't put on. As long as everything else is going okay and bubs is measuring up fine, heart beat good and all those things I wouldn't worry. If your Ob thought there was a prob he/she would have mentioned it.

Ready Guest

Thanks again to everyone for your reassurance I will speak to my ob next visit, although just knowing others are experiencing the same thing has helped alot. I'm going to have that Freddo frog I have been holding onto all day now!!!!!!