Thread: what is a chemical pregnancy?

Default what is a chemical pregnancy?

i just wondered...

I think that its where an egg is fertilised but doesn't implant.

Melinda Guest

Yep, that's right (or at least that's my understanding of it). It's a very early miscarriage.

I think I had one in Nov, lots of pg symptoms than AF arrived on time.

Melinda Guest

My AF was a few days late when I recently had mine (around 3 - 4 days late).

kirsty Guest

I experienced one last year, loads of pg symptoms ~ even a very faint BFP on an early detection HPT, but AF showed up 5days late & when I discussed it with my Dr he said that a chemical pg was the most likely cause.

His explanation is that the egg fertilises but for whatever reason it doesn't implant itself.

ok thanks, i never knew that my late AF's were probably that.

After ovulation, fertilisation takes place forming a zygote (containing 2 pronuclei). The zygote float free in the uterus. Due to the cell multiplication process after approx 5 days the zygote is called a blastocyst and has many many cells. The blastocyst cells actually "hatch" and implantation occurs via villi which burrow into the lining tapping into the mothers blood vessells for nutrition. HCG is now on the rise. Technically a pregancy is diagnosed if BHCG is 25IU/l at 14dpos.

If the implanting blastocyst fails to develop beyond this stage then I believe it is called a chemical pregnancy. That is the BHCG existed but the blastocyst stopped developing.

Most chemical pregnancies are due to chromosomal problems in the developing fetus. Other possible causes are inadequate uterine lining, uterine abnormalities both congenital or acquired like fibroids, low hormone levels, luteal phase defect or certain infections.