Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What clothes 2 buy 4 different stages of pregnancy

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Default What clothes 2 buy 4 different stages of pregnancy

The clothing part of being preg seems a bit weird to me. I wonder what others do in the inbtwn stage. It seems obvious when you are JUST pregnant and when you are HEAVILY pregnant - but what about all the inbetween time? And when it is only for a few months?

But there are some things i think i will just HAVE to bite the bullet on, like bras without underwires - i don't have ANY like that normally, and although my size hasn't gone up, i do feel bigger/fuller/heavier in the bust - but the books advise "no wires". I can't get my head around being bigger in the bust in a few months time, WITHOUT having underwire to support me. I have always been a c or d cup, i thought no underwire was for the lucky a and b cup gals.

And knickers, all of a sudden i don't want ANYTHING putting pressure on my waistline, do pg women wear bikini underwear? That seems to be the only thing i can thing of that wont' put pressure on the waist. I don't have a baby bump yet, but my stomach is constantly tender from the nausea and constipation of the pg sickness.

The punjabi suits that indian women wear are looking very attractive to me, it is a suit of a long loose tunic (no waist detail) and comfy pj type trousers. God knows where i can get one, but i reckon they would be the go. Also African tunic dresses i guess would fulfil the same idea - loose and flowing.

I think i will need to get something to wear to pregnancy yoga classes. But once again, do you have to keep buying new stuff in a diff size every few months?

What do pg women do about bathers? Do you need to keep buying another pair of bathers every few months if you change in size so much in nine months? Or are they made to stretch say from what you need at three months right up to full term at nine months?

I have been too sick to go looking at any pregnancy clothes or baby equipment, so i feel right outta the loop. All i have seen is those baby mags in the hosp. goodie bag you get at the first antenatal clinic (fairly pricey stuff - that was scarey).

At home i guess i will raid my partner's wardrobe for his t-shirts and enormous windcheetah's but i can't imagine leaving the house in his stuff!

So what do the rest of you do about this? I'd love to hear from you all.

I was so totally confused too, and still am at times. I'm at the in between stage where I have only 2 pairs pants left that fit! I did go shopping for pants and the chick at the maternity shop was really helpful and explained how the pants extend to fit your growing tummy so they fit now and will continue to fit. The best i found was these pants with turn down waist bit, hard to explain but you waer it turned down now and when your tummy grows you can turn it up to sit over or wear under your belly.

Have no idea bout bathers though, had been wondering bout that one.

Maybe go to maternity shop and ask lady there.

Like Shell, I liked the turned down waist ones to start with, but when you get to the stage nothing fits, it feels good to have something to fold up to hold it all in IYKWIM??

I was lucky with the togs. My sister's a big girl and I have been wearing hers (she'd flip if I ever told anyone that!).

Target have some great and reasonably priced stuff. I didn't show properly unitl quite late, but was uncomfortable in my 'real' clothes so have been wearing maternity for ages. Now it still fits and stretchy is great!! I also got some stuff on ebay VERY cheap (and yes it was new), like a top for $6 and a dress for two weddings for $20! Not too bad, and no-one else had stuff like them.

As for knickers, I haven't changed what I wear. I have been a fan of bonds hipsters for years, and now they just tuck under neatly.

HTH

Last pregnancy I bought some good pregnancy jeans that actually can pass for regular jeans and I wore them throughout my pregnancy and I had 2 pairs of track suit pants which sat low waisted so below my belly. That lasted my entire pregnancy with a few others for when I got really big.

I also used bikini underware because it was the most comfortable.

Add Gigi on Facebook

I would like to know, when you bought the preg clothes, how long did they last you size wise, like did you have to buy a different size every two months cos you change in body size/shape so much, or did you all buy ONE pair of pg jeans that you wore your entire pg? That's the part i am worried about, having to buy MANY sizes of basically the same thing. ($$$)

I bought one pair early on at around 14weeks and wore them the entire time. The ones I bought were really well made and I got them from a pregnancy boutique in Sydney where they showed me the way they would stretch. I think I bought a size that fit but wasn't too snug, more like a loose fit and they fit me right up to the day before I gave birth. But they are designed for that growth too.... its hard to describe.

Exactly what Christy said!! Althoug for the stuff I bought online I bought the next size up from what I would normally buy (I was a 12 so bought 14). I haven't had so buy anything from 20wks.

Though I guess it would depend on how much weight you put on....I remember I was horrifed at one store saying I owuld need XXL - but bought them and held them up with a safety pin - just incase you know? - now they fit great!

I agree with what the girls have said. I've bought 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of black work pants, 1 pair of boardies and 1 pair of black dance pants (that's what they look like to me - sort of tracky ones) and that's all I've lived in so far. 2 of my pants have adjustable waists on the inside so they will last, my dance pants have a roll top and my boardies have a tie waist with a discreet panel behind the tie up. I've bought them from Target and some maternity stores. As for tops I'm living in my old stretchy long ones that still fit over my belly but Mum (god bless her!) has made me some tops for work as I don't like much out there in tops or they are way too expensive.

As for bathers, I wear my boardies and my bikini top but that's starting to get a bit snug in the bust but I'm not running out to buy another pair just yet. Undies - I still wear my normal ones but they sit under my belly now.

Oh - and I've bought my regular size 14's.

I have had to buy new clothes very early on as i started to show straight away. i bought some maternity pants from a maternity shop and they had a belly pillow so you could see what you would like like in the cloths you bought. they were all ajustable so as i got bigger i would cut the stitches to let the elastic out. i have out grown them all now but have found the lycra maternity pants very comfortable and they have a fold down top which is good as some of my shirts need the extra bit.
    As for maternity bras I have read that the underwire bras can harm the breast tissue as it gets ready for milk production. not sure if its true but i was a B/C to start with and now a D/DD and i still have 13 weeks to go. they are very confortable and there are a lot of differant tyoes now out there including Tshirt bras. I would just recomment that you try them on first and maybe buy the next size up

I was lucky enough to be able to fit into my normal pants with a belly belt for quite some time. I did buy some black maternity pants - 1 pair with buttons on the inside that let the top in and out and the other pair with the elasticy fold down part. They are both really comfortable. I got a few different maternity tops that may have looked a tad big at first but fit quite nicely now towards the end. My biggest problem has been the seasons changing!!! Started out in summer... and now its winter!!!

As for bathers I bought a tankini set in a size or so bigger which still fits me now (I go to aquanatal classes each week) Your bump ends up sticking out the bottom but thats fine!!!

Fee Guest

I just buy as I go along.

I've only bought 2 pairs of maternity pants and one skirt.

All my regular tops still fit. Otherwise I just buy cheap and cute tops from Cotton On in the next size up. Also all my skirts with elastic waists still fit. So these are good for work. Should be fine for a bit longer as it's still warm here.

And my underwear still fits. As for bras I never wore underwire ones so I haven't had to change. I've always worn crop top styles like the ones by "Ambra Body Soft".

So I'm doing well!!!

I'm already enormous . I bought beautiful brand new (tags attatched) Ciao Bella maternity pants off ebay for $8.00 (not including postage). They were my super-buy. The RRP on the tags was $99 =D>
    They had a tiny pulled thread on the waistline.

Add Gigi on Facebook

Thanks for all those suggestions, i am so glad i asked now!

Many of you mentioned things i had never heard of (re adjustable clothes with buttons inside and stitches you take out) and you have given me so much to think about. Like a tankini, which i have never worn before. (pg or otherwise!).

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to post what worked for them and if i come across any more i will put them up too, to help those that come after us.

I went and looked on eBay, and see these things called MUMSTUMS, look like a t-shirt material boob tube to me, any one know what the heck they are?

If anyone else have any other ideas, please continue to put them down.

Thanks again
    =D>

Something I have to get back from SiL is my wrap-around trousers (I figured I'd offer them last summer as she needed them more than me - wish I hadn't now as I hate asking for things back from them as it can take forever). They're fantastic as you have enough material for a pair of size 24 trousers, but you can adjust the waist with the wrap-around ties so you don't have to worry about getting them done up over the bump. I really love them as they have slits up the outside, so if it's hot you can get your legs out and if it's a bit chilly you're covered up. (They're like trousers with no joins on the outside, you tie them round the back then round the front, the sides fall around each other so you're not exposed.)

I have loads of stuff in size 12 (my mum keeps thinking I'll "grow into it") too, just in case I need it (I'm an 8), and have some sarongs. For some reason all the clothes I bought 2 years ago had zips up the side, so I can still wear pretty tops and just let out the side if I need to. Maybe the shop was having a maternity sale and I didn't realise I'd walked into that part of the shop? Anyway, looking forward to that too.

Oh had a thought about maternity bras too. When I was being fitted the lady gave some great advice.

No matter when you go and buy them, ie four months five months etc, you should have enough hooks nad eye left to take you all the way through ie should be able to expand the bra one hook each month and one for after (does that make sense?).

Also, you should be able to put a fist in the cup size as well as your boob (for when they fill up after wards).

Seems to be working great so far.

Ohhh Scrappy brilliant advice re the maternity bras!!! I was wondering that myself! I have a few and was thinking that I will go and get fitted after my milk comes in... not sure if I will be able to find the time though.

And Fee I have a heap of stuff from Cotton On - they are brillliant!!! All of their singlets, shirts etc are quite long in length and strech quite well and if you pop them in the dryer then they shrink back - I've spent a tonne of money in there!!!!

Add Gigi on Facebook

it does make sense scrappyfish. I went shopping for the first time in 10 weeks yesterday (had to sit down virtually the whole time! and only went to one bra shop and then home - i was so worn out!).

So now, at 11 weeks, i - who just went to buy a sport bra, came home with a maternity bra, yes the whole nine yards, complete with the feeding hook panels. Bra fitter said the earlier i got into a maternity bra the better for support, and there are SO MANY hooks on the bra strap, she thinks it should last me all the way thru the pg. Couldn't get one in black and it sure doesn't look like anything i would normally wear (lace is involved), but it is SO comfortable! No underwire but still very supportive.

My only thought was "i don't want my partner to see me in this thing".

In spite of me thinking i had not changed size, i have gone from a 12D to a 12DD - so not a huge change so far, but a bit.

Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13
    Ohhh Scrappy brilliant advice re the maternity bras!!! I was wondering that myself! I have a few and was thinking that I will go and get fitted after my milk comes in... not sure if I will be able to find the time though.

And Fee I have a heap of stuff from Cotton On - they are brillliant!!! All of their singlets, shirts etc are quite long in length and strech quite well and if you pop them in the dryer then they shrink back - I've spent a tonne of money in there!!!!
    that's good to hear of a place that sells long tops, (with cropped tops being in fashion for the last few years, most of my tops are hip level and above (normally) and now are too short). I can't believe i gave away all my long baggy tops cos after watching "what not to wear" i learnt they were not at all flattering for a shortie like me - but now, i would be glad of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast