Thread: What could this be?!

Default What could this be?!

HI, I have found that after I empty my bladder, kinda when I am nearly done, I get an area above my pubic bone that kinda hurts. It doesnt hurt real bad, only sometimes real dull pain but I can feel that it is there. It is not there always, only when I tend to hold on a lil longer than normal and then sometimes I feel it when I walk back from the toilet. What could it be?! I thought maybe a bladder infection but when I had one a few years ago, it was so painful that I was in tears! I noticed this pain for the first time when I went for my first u/s and had to hold on the 1l of water! So I guess it could possibly just be that the uterus is taking up more room?! Dunno!! Any thoughts??

It could just be you have held on too long & your bladder is stretched & when it is empty it's letting you know not to hold on as long next time... I'm not sure???

I'd check, just in case - could be the beginning of a UTI.

Natalie - thats what I thought!! I have had it for a while now and it doesnt seem to be getting worse.. kinda feeling a bit better and it is only there when I hold on for too long.

Argh!! I hope I am not going to be prone to these!! One of my friends said to watch out for them cause she got heaps while pg.

I get that in early pregnancy, I'm not sure what it is, but my bladder feels very irritated and sore. I recently had it again for 2 days...it feels kinda like ligaments around it stretching.

I'd definately go and get checked out for a UTI. When I had it, I drank heaps of cranbery juice and never got one, but I'm not sure that it was even anything to do with that.

Melinda Guest

You know, I had this after Ruby was born and it lasted for several weeks. I just drank plenty of water to try and flush things through JIC - and had the odd sachet of Ural (not recommended during PG I don't think due to the high salt level I think). But I didn't go to the doctor or get antibiotics or anything like that - it sorted itself out!

Well I decided that if I get this feeling again tomorrow I am going to see my doctor on Friday morning. I read up on UTI symptoms and it sounds like this could be one of them so better to be sure!! I gotta ask him something else anyways..

Sounds like a low grade UTI...urinary tract infection.
    Cranberry juice has been clinically proven to help.
    It may be best to go for the sugar free cos the stuff is high in sugar or you can get cranberry tablets which work just as well. I personally perfer to use juice than tablets.
    I keep a bottle of juice in the pantry for such emergencies.
    Avoid antibiotics if you can as they will knock off all the good bugs in your system as well as any causing a problem.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cranberry is great, lines the urinary tract Always used to recommend it to women who would come in for antibiotics for UTI's when I worked in the pharmacy and they'd come back in and tell me how great it was. If you are prone to UTI's then its good to have it as a preventative too, not just when it happens
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks for the info! Well I am going in to see my doctor about it this morning so if it is a UTI then cranberry juice will be on my shopping list today!

Also I just wanted to say that if it is a UTI dont be afraid to take antibiotics.... You can never be too careful during pregnancy - if a UTI is left untreated it can progress to kidney infection which is not good for bubs.... at 20 weeks i spent two days in hospital because an untreated uti proogessed. It has been 6 weeks since my uti and I have not got a normal urine test result yet so I am now on my 2nd course of antibiotics!!!

Also 2 litres of fluid a day (minimum) can help flush out the nasties!!!

Well been to the docs and he said that I got a mild case of UTI.. didnt say there was a need to do a urine test as its only real mild so he has put me on some antibiotics and we will see how that goes!

I had this on and off thru the pg, but never was treated for anything. Coz it never burnt when going to the loo or anything.. would just kinda ache a bit afterwards. I too tried to make myself go a bit more frequently than usual, coz it was worse if I held on too long.

Hi, Firstly,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me, are the cranberry tablets ok to take? I think i have the start of a UTI but really done like the taste of cranberry juice and have taken the tablets before. Im confused as to what the difference is between the two, are the tablets safe to take if so what brand is best? If i have to drink the juice i will im just worried i wont be able to hold it down or put off drinking it not liking the taste!