Thread: What to eat and what not too....

Spinner13 Guest

Default What to eat and what not too....

Greetings all, I have just found out that I am pregnant with baby #1 so exciting, but I am totally unaware of what I can and cant eat, see my problem right now is I am so craving red rooster, now am I allowed to eat that or not?? and would anyone know any good web sites to visit to give me the run down. My GP gave me a leaflet on it all but to me it says is ensure everything is cooked throughly and also dont eat left overs! Nothing about Red Rooster help please.........

Red rooster is fine Submit to your cravings.

General guidelines are dont eat anything that could have been lying around for a few hours or not handled/cleaned properly. So I persoanlly avoid all deli type salads, (I choose sandwich bars very carefully based on reputation and turnover of food) any cold cooked meals, smorgasboard type arrangements where food is sitting around in bain maries etc, and of course leftovers.
    Listeria is a bug that actually grows in the refrigerator, so it means anything after about 12hrs could potentially have the bugs on it which can have some risk.
    Also try to avoid raw seafood or cooked cold seafood (but things like freshly cooked hot prawns are OK ) and your soft cheeses like bries and camemberts.

If you do a google search for Listeria risks in pregnancy or something like that you should find some great sites.

Hi Spinnner,

I have been having pretty bad ms but havng serious cravings for Red Rooster too - the chips seem to be the only thing that work for me and I've had a couple of strip subs too. With the strip subs with 1 it was so hot and fresh I just ate it. The other one I took home and put in the microwave until it was steaming. Told my doc about it when I saw her last and she said it was no problem - so long as it was hot and cooked. She basically said if my body was craving something to just have it - this included sushi!!! She said that obviously entirely up to me how strict I was, but that the chances of actually getting Listeria were so incredibly remote. Won't be pushing my luck by having the sushi though !!

Have a look at the article about listeria on the main website Here. It should help as well.

I eat heaps of sushi but I make sure I don't eat the raw fish or things that have been sitting on the train for a while, I'll ask for some of the chicken if I see them making it, or eat vege sushi.

Hi,

Go and get your red rooster

Stay away from

soft serve icecream
    deli meats
    soft cheeses
    leftovers
    buffet style foods
    raw fish

I always give my food a quick good nuke in the microwave if i dont think its hot enough. Chicken is fine if its cooked thoroughly, so if you get a kebab ask them to cook the chicken a bit longer. Sushi, i only eat vegetable rolls. Mayonnaise i eat as long as i know its fresh. I dont eat things that have been open for more than 48 hours. I always wash fruit and veg too and just make sure all the utensils i use are clean.

Congrats on the pregnancy

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You can eat leftovers you just have to be sure that they are piping hot.

If ya want it...go get it I HAD to have Red Rooster at the beginning of this pregnancy...only meat that I could even face eating apart from fish. We could've bought a store I reckon...lol. I have also had sundae from Macca's even though you're not supposed to have soft serve, but I NEEDED it!! I also went through a Subway phase.

Spinner13 Guest

Ladies,
    Thank you so much with what not to eat and what I can, let me assure you tonight I am heading to Red Rooster!! I went there last night and ate the chips well more like licked them to get anything that had a slight chicken taste to it and it made me feel so much better, and I was contemplating on getting the Chicken, but then I got the guilts and decided to opt against it, but that wont be happening tonight!! Bless that little Red Chicken!!

Lol Spinner... I hope you enjoyed your Red Rooster.

Lol @ licking the chips. The things we do!! Hope you enjoyed your Red Rooster!!

mum5boys Guest

I have had 5 beautiful healthy boys and am pg with number 6 and I basically eat whatever I feel like and always have.
    I always stay away from the pate's,cheeses,salami,sushi,etc.
    I eat just about everthing else and I make sure everything is well cooked.
    I absolutely craved maccas with my DS2 and had that every time I felt like it but bubs was born 9 pound 7 so be aware.lol
    Take Care
    Michelle

This site:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/news...lyaske3115.cfm

Is specifically for the Australia/NZ situation and is absolutely excellent for explaining the ins and outs of just about every food. I've bookmarked it and it's been my bible throughout my pregnancy! Congrats on yours

I've googled about eating ricotta when pregnant and found mixed responses. What do you think?