Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What excuse can I use?

I don't do the pretend drinking thing. I either say I don't feel well, (have a headache) and add that alcohol makes it worse, or I have a lemon, lime and bitters (light on the bitters). Ginger beer is the best drink though, especially if you feel morning sick, and it looks alcoholic. Honestly, do people really care??? No one has ever asked me why I'm not drinking... maybe I just mix with oblivious people

Needing to be sober to care for other children is a very good idea Jodie! Although childless people don't often "get" that you need to not be in a deep sleep/hungover when a child wakes up crying in the night or is sick.

Thanks for all your ideas, I can't use the excuse that my child is sick and that I may have to go home because we live in Cairns and are actually flying to Brisbane for that weekend. My mum is looking after my daughter. So there isn't really any excuse for me not to let my hair down and enjoy myself (well that's what they'll all be saying). My DH said maybe we should just tell them all that I am pregnant but after having 2 miscarriages I would really prefer to wait on telling everyone until I am at least 12 wks, it's just easier for me.

Maybe I could use the excuse that Lulu2 suggested and say that during the week when we arrive home I am getting tests done to find out the causes of my past miscarriages and why it is taking me so long to fall pregnant and that I cant have alcohol for a week before the tests. That would work and that way they'll know I definitely can't drink.

Yep Lulu's idea is good and foolproof.

Otherwise, maybe claim cystitis.

If you don't know, cystitis makes it painful to wee and can be caused by being dehydrated so alcohol definitely makes it worse. And you have to go to the loo all the time but not much comes out (so could also explain you going to the loo a lot if you need to). But it's not something that would really affect your weekend so you don't have to pretend to be sicker than you are. You could also say you'd had too much to drink the night before you went away and that's what brought it on.

Plus because it's affecting something "down there", people tend not to ask too many questions.

Yes! Cystitis!(UTI, urinary tract infection) Brilliant suggestion! With the fertility tests you'd have to be certain that one of your friends isn't in the medical field... or could be facing even more questions.

Thanks Fiona, that sounds great!!! Like you said it wont affect my weekend and I can still do everything that we plan on doing that weekend. Fantastic idea.

Take a couple of packets of Ural from the chemist too and make a big show of mixing them up. They're just a special drink that helps with cystitis but harmless if you don't have it.

Good idea, so if I have to drink it in front of everyone it wont harm the baby or anything? I just don't want to risk anything.

Check with the chemist but I'm 99% sure it won't do any harm.

Drinking lots of water is just as good (the idea is to flush out the system) but if any of the other women have had it they'll tell you to get some Ural and if you've already got some sachets, it looks more convincing iykwim.

You'll have to claim it's a pretty bad case though to be lasting two days. Just talk it up big time. Say you've had it before but it's never been this bad etc.

Like I say, once you mention anything to with urinary tract infections, most people stop listening so it's a good cover story! Not that I've ever used it as a sickie excuse or anything!

Do you know what, perceptive friends will guess regardless or not of whether you have the right excuse! Enjoy your weekend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12