Thread: What is ok and what is not??

Default What is ok and what is not??

Ok sorry to be a pain here but I just wanted to see if some foods are ok to eat. I'm struggling with the whole food thing and I've only known i am PG for a week or so and already i'm over the whole food issue.

My OBS is not till 11 weeks and I don't think i can make it that long and don't want to have to wait at GP for 1 hour to ask "can i eat this?"

So.. Yes or No to the following would be great.
    - Vegemite on toast?
    - Can of soup (such as beef stew with vegetables - pipping hot of course) *fingers crossed*
    - Left overs from the night before dinner, nuked!!
    - Homemade salad with canned tuna or canned salmon (not smoked just normal flakes with maybe the flavours e.g. tomato and basil. Really have my fingers crossed for this as I LOVE it and could make this a staple meal
    - Phili cream cheese?
    - Gravy?? Either homemade or such as on chips from a shop?
    - Honey?? I heard today that it's no good to have honey!!! Is that true??
    - Homemade Chicken Soup (I was going to make a huge batch and freeze in portions for work?)
    - Salsa??
    - Chicken breasts - I bought extra chicken breasts at shopping and was going to grill the breasts and then take to work for a tortilla wrap or something, do I still need to nuke the chicken or would home cooked chicken breast be ok cold?

My breakfast routine is not going to change much as I have cereal or toast but my lunch is really going to be affected so trying to sort out what i can take before i head back to work after the xmas break. I think my dinners are all ok too. We eat pretty healthy so think all ok for dinner.

So far i'm going the tomato & cheese toasted sandwiches which are good. And I heard the idea of cooking a tomato based pasta for work.

ARRGGHHHH how stressful..

If anyone else wants to add to the list please be my guest, more options the better I say for all of us.

- Vegemite on toast? YES

- Can of soup (such as beef stew with vegetables - pipping hot of course) *fingers crossed* YES

- Left overs from the night before dinner, nuked!! As long as it's piping hot

- Homemade salad with canned tuna or canned salmon (not smoked just normal flakes with maybe the flavours e.g. tomato and basil. Really have my fingers crossed for this as I LOVE it and could make this a staple meal YES

- Phili cream cheese? YES

- Gravy?? Either homemade or such as on chips from a shop? Homemade yes, shops I wouldn't (& don't myself) cos you don't know how long it's been there.

- Honey?? I heard today that it's no good to have honey!!! Is that true?? Honey is no good for babies, but pregnancy is fine.

- Homemade Chicken Soup (I was going to make a huge batch and freeze in portions for work?) Again as long as it's piping hot

- Salsa?? It's recommended not to have anything that has had raw foods dipped in it....

- Chicken breasts - I bought extra chicken breasts at shopping and was going to grill the breasts and then take to work for a tortilla wrap or something, do I still need to nuke the chicken or would home cooked chicken breast be ok cold? Hot again.

Hi there and congrats on the pregnancy!!!!
    Here is a BB article alll about what you can and cant eat:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...eria-pregnancy
    I have found it a bit tricky too and have on occasions found out something I have been happily eating is actually a nono but luckily nothing bad has happened. I think mostly it is important to make sure you arent mixing things that might contaminate other stuff, like cutting boards or knives with raw meat etc. Make sure dairy stuff is pasturised, if you are having cold meat it needs to be something you cooked yourself the day before and has been refrigerated ever since. If you take cold meats to work you should use a fridgie bag and ice bricks till you can get it in the frige at work. Dont let meat cool on the bench before you put it in the frige etc.
    You will find there is still heaps of things you can eat but the thing I found most difficult is if I was going to a big get togther with pooled foods or if I went to a food hall at a shopping centre. It is a bit tricky to find something that is freshly made!!!!
    Hope you dont starve!!!! I think you should find something yummy

I think it's mostly common sense. If there's a chance of cross-contamination then avoid it. If there's unpasturised dairy in it, avoid it. If it's take-out or smorgasboard and you don't know how long it's been there then avoid it. Otherwise generally you can eat normally.

Keep in mind that listeria only occurs in roughly 1 in 20000 pregnancies - you are more likely to be hit by a car!

Snowchickie,

Most home made food is ok especially fresh, if you reheat it, only eat it if it's been refrigerated straight away and re heated really hot. And if it' not a week old, LOL! Make sure you wash fruit and veg well, but other than that homemade is best.
    Things brought from takeaways, I would probably avoid, even sandwitches as you never know how long its been there. I would only eat things that are cooked fresh, like hot chippies, and I would ask for freshly cooked specifically.
    Cheeses to avoid are soft cheese that is not pasturised, like blue cheese, camembert, etc. Cottage cheese, philly cheese is ok.
    With pre cooked chicken/meats, make sure you refrigerate it after it is cool enough and eat it hot.

Other things to avoid are soft serve ice creams (eg, mr whippee) including in thickshakes/milkshakes, half cooked or uncooked eggs (no more eggs and soldiers!) salad bar foods and bistro foods you choose from the window...hmmm can't think of anything else!

HTH

That is so great. Thank you so much everyone. That is a huge help..

One more question.. Are salad dressings ok?? I don't eat out often so i'm talking about ones i have in my fridge and using them if we have a salad with dinner etc?? E.g. tonight!

Salad dressings are fine as long as within use by date. Some fresh mayonnaise is better avoided in case it has raw egg, but again most supermarket ones (kraft etc) are ok.

Not a fan of mayo but like Italian or French, or my fav Balasmic Vinegar are great. I figured they would be fine but as usual, thought I'd check.

We just had a really nice dinner. I did steak on the BBQ, potatos with crispy bacon and a salad. Was delicious.. I love the potato dish.. If anyone wants an easy and VERY yummy potato dish for BBQ's let me know and happy to share.

Thanks again everyone. Great to have somewhere to ask questions and actually get answers.